It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Custom Pitches for SG8
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 pm 

Yes it's a little but early with SG7 not even a week gone but as per Reaper's request at the tournament and Brookesy's comment, here I go.

In the first Sandgroper that I attend (SG4) there was a truly awesome pitch with an electronic scoreboard which was run off a laptop. Now I've been doing some investigation and believe that I can repeat this feat without the laptop. It won't have the team's name being played but it will have the score, time remaining (who needs Joel :) ) and also hopefully the cas count as well.

The plan is to have a colosseum-quse setup with the scoreboard at the end. Hopefully I can also install minispeakers to play cheering/booing fans noises as well.

The only trouble I can really see is the transportability of the board. I might be able to get the design to be modular but the electronics might stuff it a bit.

So here we go and may others join me in making custom pitches.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:19 pm 

I am in the planning stages at the moment. My woodwork fu is pretty average, but going to see how good a board I can make for my Chaos team or Khemri team (or both!) and got plenty of time until the next groper :)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:21 pm 

Cool idea Hymn. :D
Quote:
The only trouble I can really see is the transportability of the board. I might be able to get the design to be modular but the electronics might stuff it a bit.
You may be able to use the colloseum parts to hide the electrics, so the colloseum is detatchable but rests on top or similar.
Quote:
Yes it's a little but early with SG7 not even a week gone but as per Reaper's request at the tournament and Brookesy's comment, here I go.
With a full year I have no excuses for not getting a pitch done this time! :lol: :oops:

My plan is to get a rockpool pitch complete with the following:
-string to outline the grid
-resin to create the watery effect (though it will only be shallow and only to a point that the visibility of the grid in unaffected)
-use mirrors on the floor of the pools to give the illusion of depth
-shells / sand / rock mix for the rest
-a team to suit

The only guide for me is that it has to be easy to use (eg grids must be easily visible, the pitch can't be too rough, no flaky bits) and easy to transport (a layer of foam and good to go is the idea). It will probably be in three pieces plus turn counters / etc.

And the ultimate yardstick. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:33 pm 

Brookesy, for marking the grid you don't need to have all the lines but rather just have the points marking the corners, similar to how Clipsal used nails and beads on his "grass" to mark the grid points.

So for the underwater theme perhaps small shells or the such?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:02 pm 

Quote:
Brookesy, for marking the grid you don't need to have all the lines but rather just have the points marking the corners, similar to how Clipsal used nails and beads on his "grass" to mark the grid points.
I did toy with the notion of shells but I think they may blend into the rest of the pitch a bit easily. The beads idea could work though (painted red / white to look like buoys). I could even have them slightly above the resin / water that way which would help with clarity. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:03 pm 

maybe its time to do something with my ice hockey rink/pitch idea...all planned out in my head, now just have to make it happen...and find a team to paint up like the LA Kings (my NHL team of choice)...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:04 pm 

I'm working on getting serious about thinking about making a pitch ;)

Good to hear people are thinking about it already. Looking forward to progress shots and one-ups-manship :D

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:07 pm 

Quote:
I'm working on getting serious about thinking about making a pitch
Yeah... This will be me until about June 21... But I can pretend to be pro-active in the meantime though :D

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:08 pm 

@brooksey Litko make templates for spray painting squares and even do a custom sized template. I'll dig a link up later or maybe Runejack can post it as I sent it to him earlier in the week.

Alternatively as Hymn suggests small shells and then level out the pitch with water effects.

Post subject: Custom Pitches for SG8
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm 

I have a couple of ideas on the boil, and if I can plan properly, may even be able to pull both of them off! The Mootineers pitch will be finished off by the end of June, which will work as a guide for how to do the easier of the two pitches... The plan is to have one done for my Chaos team for Redneck, and a more elaborate pitch for Sandgroper.

Touchdowns - 6 For - 3 Against

Casualties - 3 For - 11 Against

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:55 pm 

I've a few pitches in mind, but whether I can get them done before sgc8 and moving back and then probably doing fifo it'll be a challenge

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 pm 

I think these could work as markers. The intent is that they would sit slightly above the resin / water level. Then I'd spray them all white and have red to mark the boundary / sideline / LoS.

http://sewing-online.com.au/haberdasher ... _100_Pack/

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:57 pm 

Quote:
I think these could work as markers. The intent is that they would sit slightly above the resin / water level. Then I'd spray them all white and have red to mark the boundary / sideline / LoS.

http://sewing-online.com.au/haberdasher ... _100_Pack/
Or red below the water line and white above? Like so?

Opposite for the boundary / sideline / LoS. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:05 pm 

That' work. :D

Link? :oops:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:09 pm 

I have plans for next years team/pitch, as I get to play again :D

At the moment, I'm still working out how it's all going to layout and work, whilst still being portable. Prelim sketch's and measurements are leaving me a bit tight on space.

WWW.SOULRAVEN.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
Official MERCS Black Ops Representative