[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Sandgroper Cup 8 Results and Feedback - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:48 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:21 pm 

Another Sandgroper is done and dusted. Many thanks to everyone who attended. I hope you all had a blast. Also thanks to Dave and Bruno, for running the show over the weekend. :D

On to the results...

Champion Julian Palmer (for the third time)
2 Brendan Morrison
3 Daniel Hutchinson
4 Jed Hansen
5 Michael Watson
6 Ken Downer
7 Gary Perkins
8 Nathan Gall
9 Drew Lovell
10 Joel Brokaw
11 Bruno Schuts
12 Tim Manassah
13 Chris Sratford
14 Gregg Johnson
15 Cam Sheridan
16 Rhett Cumming
17 Rob Langford
18 Michael O'Connor
19 Dave Cotton
20 Steve Marr
21 Richard James
22 Ron Argent
23 Matthew Donnison
24 Nathan Blanchard
25 Jarrod Ramsdale
26 Rudolf
27 Douglas Bell
28 Duro Bozic
29 Stephen Trounsen
30 Graeme Fazakerley

Brett Holman and the Ringer only played on day 1.

MVP, Griff Oberwald Medal
Graeme Fazakerley

Best Painted Team and Support Staff
Steve Marr

Stunty Champion
Chris Stratford

Best Custom Pitch
Drew Lovell

Most Touchdowns
Drew Lovell (18)

Most Casualties
Jed Hansen (26)

A new Sandgroper Record for Casualties Against
Stephen Trounsen with 47

Wooden "Rooted" Spoon Winner
Graeme Fazakerley

As always we would love to hear all feedback on the event. What you liked and didn't like.

WWW.SOULRAVEN.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
Official MERCS Black Ops Representative

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:56 pm 

Any chance of sports scores?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 pm 

really liked having the clock on the screen - that was very helpful and it spared our gentle ears from Runejack's time calls :)

dice cups were full of awesome!

no negative comments - loved this venue from the first time Sandgroper was held there...especially like the food options around the corner from the venue...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:50 pm 

Quote:
And painting?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:59 pm 

Well done (again! ) Jules :)

Well done to the winners of the other prizes too!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:05 pm 

Thanks for another great event guys, really top notch effort as always.

The only feedback I could offer is in the scheduling, having the lunch time break on the first day start half an hour before the kitchen opened made it hard to get food from the venue and eat it before the next game started. While you can eat playing a game it can be awkward particularly if you're using your fingers to eat and then touching yours and others models.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:20 am 

Quote:
Thanks for another great event guys, really top notch effort as always.
The only feedback I could offer is in the scheduling, having the lunch time break on the first day start half an hour before the kitchen opened made it hard to get food from the venue and eat it before the next game started. While you can eat playing a game it can be awkward particularly if you're using your fingers to eat and then touching yours and others models.
Wasn't that for the second day? The first day was fine, on the second day the kitchen opened at 12 instead of 11.

Thank you for another great tournament guys, I don't have much to give in way for feedback apart from please keep running these :D

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:34 am 

Quote:
Thank you for another great tournament guys, I don't have much to give in way for feedback apart from please keep running these :D
+1
A great weekend all round!

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:01 am 

Think you might be right Dave got my days mixed up.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:58 pm 

Had a great weekend. I was particularly happy with the performance of the Dark Elves. After the first game against Jarrod i thought, "goddamn!" lost 3-0 and had like 3 cas against. It was not a great start, not to mention i couldnt safely roll over 2 for most of the game, yet even when i crowded the ball or ball carrier Jarrod was able to dig it out on 5+/6+ rolls and then score, once was ok...but he did it two times and i could break armour to save myself. I cant remember specifics...all i know was i was incoherently mad at my dice, annoyed by Spider (no hate Spider...youre a good bloke) yelling at the top of his lungs and breaking my concentration every 15.3 sec. Good game Jarrod

2nd game against Bruno's Norse had me thinking, "i love fighting teams with 7 armour or less" but the abundance of block had me thinking i was in for some hurt, plus frenzy dominance could see some yuck chain pushes to the crowd. But for all of Bruno's luck, multiple double skulls and double 1's (inlcuding a Yhetee that didnt want to move for 3 turns) ensured he was not to see full turns with much success, i wasnt crowd surfed even once, yet i crowd surfed norse players multiple times by dodging my witch elf in a cracking players. Horkon was able to Stab an Ulfwerener off the field and did it again to a Blitzer. Twice i was able to take advantage of ball mishandling, dodge - pickup - short/long pass it, catch and score and traverse more than 50% of the board in a single action. This wasnot a fair game, i just capitalised on Bruno's misfortune. if we replayed this game 5 times over it would be a lot closer every time. 2-0 win. Good game Bruno.

3rd game - before it even started i thought it was in the bag. Lizards, especially rookie lizards never put up much of a fight. However for all of my attempts i just couldnt put out enough damage to keep the Skinks away. The Standfirm Saurus posed moderate annoyance...but what really made it hard for me was my inability to safely roll smash results. I also couldnt prevent a gutsy last turn TD by the skinks, dodging in to tackle zones, picking up and handing off the ball for a deep TD had the game go to a 2-1 loss. Bugger!

4th game had me pitched against the Snotling team. My shock was that there was a surprising lack of ogres. Facing S1 team was downright unfair to the S1 team. The results spoke for themselves. I received first and the first multistab saw two snotlings enter the dead and injured bin (-1S and MNG). To my opponents dismay, Horkon proceeded to cut a swathe through his team. He tried multiple times to carry the ball in a cage, but being AG4 allowed me to safely dodge 2+ into multiple tacklezones, tag multiple players and slide a Shadowing Horkon next to 3-4 players bouncing around and stabbing at his discretion. 11 Casualties and 4-0 win.

5th game. I woke up very late and proceeded (in the rain) to race my butt to the venue. I arrived just as setup was starting...phew. To find out i was to be paired with Spider. Ooohh another low armour team! Great. This game basically went very similar to the snotling game. However whatever luck Spider had been holding onto on day 1, most assuredly left him on day 2. Lots of failed really stupid rolls, lots of failed dodge rolls and Horkon basically made a green/red mess on the pitch consisting of what used to be goblins. 10 cas for and 3-0 win. Good game Spider, but i think Horkon had your number!

6th game had me paired against an Orc team. Basically of all the teams that i would struggle with the most Orc is definitely in that category. Dwarf i can outrun, Chaos Dwarf cant move the ball as well once you remove the Hobgoblins. Orcs have got everything in abundance. However, while my opponent put up a solid offense he didnt protect the ball carrier enough. Noones rolls were overly great or overly bad. They were just average. I lost a Blitzer early (by chainsaw) which slowed things down, and then my witch elf later in the half. Bright side was after initial kickoff had resolved my opponent had left a model off of the pitch leaving him at a start strength of 10. I was able to get a block orc off early and he didnt come back, couldnot hurt the Chainsaw guy even though i knocked him down like 6 times...gah that was frustrating! I had difficulty moving the ball around eventually though i was able to break free with a wide pass down the side and the ball carrier moved in for a late TD, that got rid of the Chainsawer before half time. Second half saw my opponent receive, but in his attempts to bash my team to oblivion (he basically neglected the ball carrier and left him wide, i got a blitzer free, blitzed the carrier on 1dice, got the ball and secured another TD before full time. I thhink the end had me at 2-0 win with 1 cas for and 3 against. This game could have gone a lot different if more caging occurred. As i just didnt have the ability to break through a cage.

Last game had me paired against Hutchy's Nurgle Team. Now normally Nurgle never worry me, not because they are bad, just most coaches cant use them effectively. I had never played Hutchy before so was unfamiliar as to how good he was. Even though i won the dice roll, i opted to kick to him. Feeling i had a strong ability to break through and secure the ball or use my ability to dodge and harrass to blunt any advance due to the slow nature of the team. However, my miunderstanding and therefore misplaying of Tentacle and Foul Appearance over the last 10years had me struggling. I thought tentacle could only be used successfully once. ie, once you ensnare a player it couldnt be used on another player (this is how ive always played it). This cost me a valuable blitz action and preventing an inevetible crowd surf. Foul Appearance hurt Frenzy blocks, not realising i had to make multiple rolls...by the same player. I personally feel both of these skills should be re-written. I was able to blunt his advance entirely in the first half leaving the score 0-0. The second half had me start well and i had the number advantage, which also didnt last long. I failed to pick up the ball as i crowd surfed another Nurgle player which left me wide open. His Nurgle Beast proceeded to run and sprint downfield toward my runner trying to ensnare me making ball handling impossible. However i cleared my blitzers and lineman, caged up around the ugly bastard and casualty him off the field...thank god. which put me at a further advantage. I secured the ball and moved it up the right side away from his team. He successfully rolled regeneration, which didnt bother me as i was going to score and end the game. However his special play card allowed him to bring a reserve on from his TD area - this card under normal circumstances might not do anything...but it singlehandedly ruined my game. My Blitzer and Horkon got caught up by the Nurgle Beast, unable to free themselves, the ball got knocked from my possession and recovered and i spent the remaining 4 turns trying to drag out a 0-0 draw. Unfortuantely for me, another casaulty and a last turn TD by a beastman ended the game 0-1 loss. 1 cas for and 3 against.

I think i wasted all the good rolls in the games that i didnt really need much help with, ie like the Goblin and Snotling teams.

All up a good weekend...and i think im the first to put up my games...thats deserves a prize unto its own!

2012 Ultimates Warhammer - Best General
2012 Ultimates Warhammer - Champion

Last edited by Exavia on Fri May 23, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:06 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
And painting?
Sports
Graeme Fazakerley 47
Drew Lovell 44
Chris Strafford 43
Gregg Johnson 43
Nathan Blanchard 43
Bruno Schuts 42
Daniel Hutchinson 42
David Cotton 42
Michael O'Connor 42
Nathan Gall 42
Stephen Trounsen 42
Steve Marr 42
Cam Sheridan 41
Brendan Morrison 40
Joel Brokaw 40
Matthew Donnison 40
Rhett Cumming 40
Tim Manassah 40
Jarrod Ramsdale 39
Richard James 38
Douglas Bell 37
Michael Watson 37
Ken Downer 36
Rob Langford 36
Rudolf 36
Duro Bozic 35
Julian Palmer 35
Ron Argent 35
Jed Hansen 34
Gary Perkins 28

Sorry Jarrod I don't have the painting scores, but can tell you Steve won in a landslide.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Schedule will certainly be looked at next year, especially if we go back to 6 games.

WWW.SOULRAVEN.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
Official MERCS Black Ops Representative

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:20 pm 

didn't really suspect anything as it was my second painted team, just wanted to see the spread if there was any

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:44 pm 

5 points off the pace with Dwarves. Kind of happy about that.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:55 pm 

Great Tourney,

Thanks to Drew, Dave, and Bruno for all the hard work that goes into making such an event possible and run as smoothly as it did.

Big thanks to all my opponents. 7 great games, and some memorable moments.

Sandgroper is a premier event in Australia and I look forward to the State Championship in March next year to meet everyone again and have a few beers :) .

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:25 pm 

First off a Massive Apology...

I completely got my dates fubared and thought it was on the weekend I was working.

Great to hear it was a great weekend, no surprise there as the organisers do such a great job every time.

Congrats to Julian, another win, awesome effort.

Congrats to the MVP winner as well. I am not sure I have ever met you but wishing I had.

You guys do not know how much I wanted to go this year. I have been out of the hobby scene due to several reasons (some you will find out soon enough) and was looking forward to some screaming and shouting and drinking.

When I discovered I had got the weekends mixed up, well lets say the office discovered that I don't have a problem with cussing.