[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Sandgroper Cup 7 Results and feedback - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:28 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:18 pm 

Another Sandgroper is done and dusted. Many thanks to everyone who attended. I hope you all had a blast. Also thanks to Joel, for being my lacky for the weekend. Although I think we may have unleashed a monster with stop watch. :D

On to the results...

Champion: Rob (submarine captain) Langford
Runner up: Dave Cotton
3rd: Julian Palmer
4th: Jarrod Ramsdale
5th: Steve Marr
6th: Jamie French
7th: Gregg Johnson
8th: Ken Downer
9th: Rudolf Furchtenicht
10th: Brett Holman
11th: Duro Bozic
12th: Brad Warnock
13th: Richard James
14th: Bruno Schuts
15th: Gary Perkins
16th: Damien Watson
17th: Michael Watson
18th: Stephen Trounson
19th: Tim Manassah
20th: Rhett Cumming
21st: Harold Ballard
22nd: Seth Capon
23rd: Dave Capon
24th: Nathan Blanchard
25th: Alex Gayski
26th: Ron Argent
27th: Rob White
Wooden "Rooted" Spoon: Nathan Gall

Nick Brookes and the ringer only played 4 games

MVP Best Sportsman: Damien Watson

Best Painted: Steve Marr

Stunty Cup Champion: Michael Watson

Best Custom Pitch: Drew Lovell

Best Support Staff: Dave Capon

Most Touchdowns: Jarrod Ramsdale (22)

Most Casualties: Nathan Blanchard (27)

As always we would love to here all feedback on the event. What you liked and didn't like.

WWW.SOULRAVEN.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
Official MERCS Black Ops Representative

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:21 pm 

Well run event as usual. Biggest issues I had was more of team choice... Halflings... Bah! Next year, Dwarfs...

Touchdowns - 6 For - 3 Against

Casualties - 3 For - 11 Against

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:34 pm 

Steve in 5th!

He has learned well!

Congrats Rob on taking it out mate.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:35 pm 

Thanks to Drew and Joel for running an awesome event :)

Still in shock at winning after my first round loss, but oh was it sweet to get another (2 BRAWL league ones too) finals win over Dave. Poor bugger can't take a trick! :twisted:

Now to get onto painting the team I wanted to take (glad I didn't!) in Khemri :)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 pm 

Liked: Everything. Seriously it was a great event which was really smoothly run. The prizes, sculpted mini and other assorted goodies (I have plans for that Chaos Head) :twisted: as well as having the scores up on the monitor was a cool touch as well. The venue had well priced meals, enough room to accomodate everybody and was nicely secluded on the second floor. :wink:

Disliked: Having a uni assignment to return home to... :( You missed out on some real gamer brownie points by not offering to write that for me guys :D

Last edited by Brookesy on Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm 

Onto the feedback:

The goodie bag - the miniature this year is the best yet (Sandtut was previous favourite) and really brings back that 2nd feel in a model. The turn marker is brilliant also and I was close to grabbing a few extra before leaving to go with my new Willy Chaos team (will grab a few soon). The dice mat is a very nice touch too :) best goodie haul ever!

The schedule - same as last year and worked well. The draft was a bit more organised this time but still hectic enough ;)

The venue - happy with the venue. Good food and drink selection and not too pricey (for Perth)

Overall - change nothing!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:04 pm 

congrats to the winners, especially our resident U-boat Commander, Kapitan Rob :)

Big thank you for Reaper and his minion (Runejack) for the great effort this weekend and all the ppl involved in making Sandgroper such an awesome event!

With Joelgate aside, it is still my must-attend event of the calendar :)

general feedback...
- I would prefer a countdown clock on the big screen to track time during the game, although the time announcements were definitely loud enough to be heard in Kalgoorlie ;)
- can we get a points breakdown for the results, just curious to see how it all played out in terms of the bonus points, etc.
- the cafes around the corner were a good alternative for food
- i dont know how u do it but the prize support for this event is phenomenal. Seriously, its mental how awesome the prize pack was this year, besides the miniature (perfect addition to my new Chaos team) i think my favourite thing was the chaos warrior head token - that was seriously bad @ss!

@ Runejack - i know u were getting a hard time this weekend (and I didn't even pick on you about the Packers) but you have now definitely become part of Sandgroper Lore with Joelgate! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:16 pm 

Quote:
- I would prefer a countdown clock on the big screen to track time during the game, although the time announcements were definitely loud enough to be heard in Kalgoorlie
This didn't occur to me but a countdown timer would go well with the big screen.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 pm 

btw, did ppl notice the abundance of chainsaws this year....5 of my opponents had chainsaws, as did i...the other two teams didnt have access to chainsaw star players so i guess they missed out on the chainsaw fun...

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:03 pm 

Quote:
btw, did ppl notice the abundance of chainsaws this year....5 of my opponents had chainsaws, as did i...the other two teams didnt have access to chainsaw star players so i guess they missed out on the chainsaw fun...
3 of my opponents had chainsaws, Gregg had 2, I also had one myself. Almost compulsory for a Goblin team to take a Chainsaw though.

After looking at the results, I again fell bad for Gregg. He was the only stunty team in the top half of the table, and if he had of got just 1 win today, he would have played for a position and been guaranteed Stunty Cup.

The venue worked out much better this year as numbers were down, so made the space just right. Having the numbers down made a lot of things work smoother, but the aim is for more numbers.

The table clothes were a nice touch, just goes to show what a difference the little things make.

A timer on show would have been great.

Also, it would have been nice to know that there were some games out there that were lucky enough to play for extra prizes. I didn't know anything about it until game 6. But I think maybe to make it fairer/funner it could have been a prize played for by the everybody by having a challenge each round that everyone can try do to win the prize. Examples could be Double Skull re-roll Double skull, First TD scorer, Casualty with first block of turn, 3 Casualties in a turn.

ASC2 Team Member - 1st WA Team Member - 18th place overall

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:02 am 

Quote:
After looking at the results, I again fell bad for Gregg. He was the only stunty team in the top half of the table, and if he had of got just 1 win today, he would have played for a position and been guaranteed Stunty Cup.
Don't feel bad, man - just realised I played everyone ranked 2nd to 5th, and I'm happy with how I played. As for the last game, you earned that win - cheers again for the awesome game. :mrgreen:

Comments on the event: I'm with whoever said it first: don't change a thing. Great work, guys! :D

Edit: any chance of seeing the sportsmanship scores?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:22 am 

Quote:
Edit: any chance of seeing the sportsmanship scores?
Yep, I'll get all the results up this week.

The timer was something we were going to do after the feedback from last year. Unfortunately with being so busy, it was something we forgot. :oops:

WWW.SOULRAVEN.COM
WWW.BRAWLBB.COM
Official MERCS Black Ops Representative

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 am 

Great event. The guys who organise it must be frickin legends ;) planning for Sandgroper 8 started last week :D

The lack of a game clock on the big screen was probably the only oversight :oops: remind me again in 6 months ;)

The spot prizes by table was announced on day one, unfortunately my table never came up. Prizes for double/triple skulls just end up going to Ratt ;)

Speaking of which, custom board that looks like a display case for spoons... wooden spoons... make it happen people ;) I'm also hoping to get more custom pitches next year. Start now... I want to see names there other than Reaper, reaper, reaper, onyx, reaper.... you get the picture ;)

As for my games I was pretty happy with the performance of the goblins. Day 2 was a bit of a tail spin, and the gobbos recovered in the round that didn't count.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:41 am 

I had something half done... Just lacked the time to finish. Dwarf pitch will begin construction soon

Touchdowns - 6 For - 3 Against

Casualties - 3 For - 11 Against

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:52 am 

Quote:
Speaking of which, custom board that looks like a display case for spoons... wooden spoons... make it happen people I'm also hoping to get more custom pitches next year. Start now... I want to see names there other than Reaper, reaper, reaper, onyx, reaper.... you get the picture
I got all the materials set and ready to go, then got hit by RL and failed hideously without technically starting. But yes, I will start one soon. :D