It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:12 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 pm 

Hello Sports fans,

This is a wrap up of the 311 Spartans games although don't be too intimidated by their awesome prowess, feel free to post your own results as well. :mrgreen:

The roster I took consisted of the following:
-Helmut Wolf
-Thrower, Accurate
-4x Blitzers, 2x Tackle
-5x Lineman, 3x Block
-2xCatchers
-4x Re-Rolls
-2 Fan Factor

Game #1: Grudge Match vs Gunnar (Goblins)
I had secretly asked for a bunch of advice from some pretty nefarious sources although the first couple of turns were pretty well decisive in how this match would play out. Fungus the Loon skips passed one Linemen to hit a Blitzer and KO himself causing a turnover in Gunnars first action. Helmut Wolf then slices a Troll clean in half, with it failing its regen save. After that, the pogoer fell and the casualties started piling on pretty quickly for the Goblins. A testament to Gunnar's determination not to get pantsed, he scored an equaliser despite having maybe five or six Goblins plus Troll on the pitch. Still, that didn't prevent the 311's from getting up the other end for the win. I'm fairly inspired to do my own Goblin team now though which could be a bit deadly :D
Win 2 - 1 TD, 7 - 2 CAS.

Game #2: Hymn's Sengoku Samurai (Humans)
I came into thi match thinking I had a reasonable grasp on the Human playbook generally only to get completely schooled by Hymn. :oops: A couple of early chain blocks on his part and poor manuevring plus some unlucky dice on mine saw the KO bin net 3 odd Spartans by turn four. Then with the numbers dominance the ball was turned over and Hymn scored. Then he proceeded to do this a further four times, each in a well calculated manner with little "jam". I daresay, I was impressed, it was a solid performance and resounding flogging. Well played. :D
Loss 0 - 5 TD, 4 - 1 CAS (?) (both teams used their Apothecaries)

Game #3: ThatGuys Humans
Almost all my games vs ThatGuy end up with a massive brawl of some kind in the centre, this was no different. :D Neither team had any luck in blocking, passing or picking up the ball for that matter with almost every turn ending because of a fail of some kind. The 311s did manage to punch a hole in the lines though on a couple of occasions and this was enough to seal the win.
Win: 2 - 0 TD, 0 - 2 CAS

Game #4:Frosthammer's HNKs (Dwarves)
I think it would be fair to say I was braindead come this round, and this was pretty evident in how I failed to really capitalise on an early Blitz, then left my chainsaw next to a couple of Dwarves on consecutive turns. :( Still, Frosthammer's Dwarves were equipped with fluffy handmittens that only ever gently soothed the players to the ground, and so for the large part, the two teams spent their time standing up and pushing each other around. :wink: Frosthammer made the first score on the last round of the first half, I countered with the same in the second half.
Draw: 1 - 1 TD, - 2 CAS (approximately)

All in all, SG7 was / is as good an event as you could expect with great round result turnarounds, prize support, cheat sheets and a good venue to boot. The only disappointment is that I will be missing Day 2 thanks to uni assignments. Still, now that I have caught the scent, I expect I'll be back next year. Thanks fellas :D

Last edited by Brookesy on Sun May 19, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 pm 

Great to play against you Brookesy and it is shame that you won't be there for the second day. Really had fun in our game and I do apologize for the dice.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:12 pm 

Yes Brookesy we were both a bit braindead during our game :-)

My day 1 at SGC7 was a continuation of my ASC experience...a whole lotta suckage, although managed to win my challenge game. the dwarves arent tackling, they r gently laying their opponents on the ground with a comfy pillow and a nice cup of cocoa...i swear its like i am using elven children, not grumpy old dwarves...

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:19 am 

Quote:
Really had fun in our game and I do apologize for the dice.
Hey no need, I enjoyed the full benefits of awesome dice against Gunnar. Mind you, this will probably make you my new number one challenge opponent :mrgreen:
Quote:
My day 1 at SGC7 was a continuation of my ASC experience...a whole lotta suckage, although managed to win my challenge game. the dwarves arent tackling, they r gently laying their opponents on the ground with a comfy pillow and a nice cup of cocoa...i swear its like i am using elven children, not grumpy old dwarves...
In a straight out grind vs Dwarves, to only suffer a couple of CAS (one being a chainsaw), I completely agree. Not to rub things in, but a funny point nonethless, Flint Churnblade sees the opening towards the Great King Leonidas, calls the Blitz, runs over and ringnininin proceeds to slice himself in two. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:44 pm 

dont worry Flint had a shocker of the weekend...he only managed to KO 3 players over the whole weekend!

much better today, although i changed out the team (used the dwarf team Onyx painted for me) and changed out all my dice, except the D16. Ended the day with 2 wins and a draw....overall 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. I went from 22nd at the end of the day to finish 11th overall....had my worst CAS performance at a Sandgroper - 10 for & 8 against....9 TD for & 8 against...3 clean sheets...

thanks to my opponents - Nathan (the CAS king!), Joel(gate), Steve, Nick, Tim, Damien and Brett....game against Tim's New Guinea Giants was a blast and who else besides Tim thought of coming to Sandgroper with a fan factor of 8! :D

and a special mention to Damien and his sportmanship dance - although i believe Joel holds the patent for that :)

and finally congrats to all the winners! Well deserved and I am sure Rob will become insufferable from the gloating over his win :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:14 pm 

When do the official results get posted?

I am keen to see who all the winners etc were.

Thanks for letting me attend yesterday and I am still keen for a game soon so I can get ready for Rock-N-Rumble that I am now signed up for, despite still not having played a full match yet :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:02 pm 

Quote:
dont worry Flint had a shocker of the weekend...he only managed to KO 3 players over the whole weekend!

much better today, although i changed out the team (used the dwarf team Onyx painted for me) and changed out all my dice, except the D16. Ended the day with 2 wins and a draw....overall 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. I went from 22nd at the end of the day to finish 11th overall....had my worst CAS performance at a Sandgroper - 10 for & 8 against....9 TD for & 8 against...3 clean sheets...

thanks to my opponents - Nathan (the CAS king!), Joel(gate), Steve, Nick, Tim, Damien and Brett....game against Tim's New Guinea Giants was a blast and who else besides Tim thought of coming to Sandgroper with a fan factor of 8! :D

and a special mention to Damien and his sportmanship dance - although i believe Joel holds the patent for that :)

and finally congrats to all the winners! Well deserved and I am sure Rob will become insufferable from the gloating over his win :lol:
I will try not to be too bad on the gloating front, but I am boring my fiancée with details of the win that doesn't understand :lol: ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:07 pm 

Quote:
Ouch, sometimes the dice just say no.
Quote:
I will try not to be too bad on the gloating front, but I am boring my fiancée with details of the win that doesn't understand
Let the process of re-education begin. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:09 pm 

Well my weekend was thoroughly enjoyable. I had a blast with the Goblins and did well enough with them that I can tick stunty off the list for a little while.

What I've learnt (that works for me):- don't worry about OTTD's, probably just won't work out.
Kicking first with lots of secret weapons works when you can force a turnover and drag the drive out for the half.
Probably go for 1 less secret weapon in the list build.
Challenges don't work for me, I am now 0-2.

Results, just roughly as I didn't properly keep track.

Game 1: Challenge match against Brookesy's Humans/Boy loving Greek Spartans who had their way with Goblins like a certain pictured Slayer on another thread.
1-2 TD and 2-7 Cas. Fungus failed miserably and by turn 2 I was also down a Troll and a Pogoer. Tough game, disappointed to lose it, but glad i kept it respectable.

Game 2: Harold's stunty Lizard's.
1-1 TD and I think 4-5 Cas. I thought I had this game in hand, but lost the ball when close to scoring in the first half, so without the early lead, could only salvage a draw.

Game 3: Stephen's Pro Elves.
I think 1-3 TD and 6-7 Cas. Again I thought I had this one handled as I got the casualties early. But in the end I started to take casualties as well and couldn't hold it back.

Game 4: Rob's Chaos Dwarfs.
3-0 TD and 6-4 Cas. I thought to begin with that this was going to be a very painful game, but Nuffle smiled on me. By turn 3 in this game I had casualtied Grashnak Blackhoof, a Chaos Dwarf and a Hobgoblin. I had also turned over the ball, and was basically either hurting or knocking out whatever I wanted. By the second half I think he could only field about 6-7 each drive.

Day 2 and my goal had changed, I thought Stunty Champion was out of reach, so was going for casualties instead as I was tied second.

Game 5: Damien's Dark Elves.
1-2 TD and 0-2 Cas. This was just about the funnest game I've had of Bloodbowl and I think everyone in the hall could tell we were having fun. We both also learnt Joel's Sportsmanship dance, and both had turns to use it appropriately. Brightest moment in this game for me, was taking a casualty. If I didn't take that casualty, I probably wopuld have been crowd surfed and not scored my TD, funniest thing was, Damien didn't want that casualty. I could see the crowd surf coming, so when his witch elf hit my goblin and got a defender stumbles, I took the odds and elected not to use dodge, this lead to Damien breaking armour for the first time in the match (turn 8 first half) and then getting the casualty as well. Important thing is I still scored.

Game 6: Nathan's Norse

2-1 TD and 3-2 Cas. Early on in this game, I thought I was going to have the same sort of game as I did against the Chaos Dwarfs with the casualties. I caused the casualties early, but wasn't able to hurt him much more after that. I did manage to keep him on the ground a lot though, so that help me hold on for a crucial win. This win got me up to the second place Stunty team, all the way down in 17th I think.

Game 7: Gregg's Goblin's in the Stunty Cup. (due to Gregg's day 2 syndrome, he had fallen to 7th, just out of contention for a placed finish spot, so he had to play me)
2-1 TD and 2-0 Cas. What an intense game we had. Not many people would think a Goblin vs Goblin game could be so intense. Things just lined up brilliantly for this game though, both of the cards we got we very appropriate cards for our teams. Gregg got 'Fanatic Invasion' (a rookie fanatic placed anywhere, coaches take turns using it at the end of thier turns) and I had 'Ecclipse' (everyone is a rookie goblin for each players turn). Both of these worked better for me, as Gregg left his fanatic on the pitch for me to have a turn, and when i used it, I hit his troll rolled both down, the fanatic was now gone (good thing) and I casualtied his troll, although it was apothed. My card allowed me to score my first TD, I was looking at a about 5-6 dodges against Diving Tackle guys, the card made them all loose thier skills and I ws able to block one out of the way and make 4 normal dodges and a GFI with re-rolling at all. The early part of the game was spent with secret weapons hunting each other, which was quite amusing. But the turning point was Gregg's turn 6 2nd half, tried to hand off and failed to catch with a re-roll, my AG4 Goblin then swooped in to pick up the ball and run away. Gregg's next turn had a block fail and cause another turnover and this meant he was unable to put a Diving Tackler onto the ball carrier. I scored in my turn 8, and with the following kick off, got lucky with the bounce going too deep for Gregg to get a chance at a OTTD.

Funny little coincidence for the tournament though, all the games I won, were the games I played the team song. The drawn game, I played half a song, and of the 3 loses, I played the song a little against Brookesy, and things got a little better in the game. Imagine if I had remembered to play it every game, haha, I would have been overall champion ( in my dreams maybe).

Lucky for me though I pulled off the last and all important win and can officially say, I am the STUNTY CHAMPION. I will not be playing stunties at Sandgroper for a while now I think.

ASC2 Team Member - 1st WA Team Member - 18th place overall

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 pm 

Quote:
I will try not to be too bad on the gloating front, but I am boring my fiancée with details of the win that doesn't understand :lol: ;)
the burden of every woman who is with a gamer - bless them all for putting up with us :)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:26 pm 

I'll chuck something up tomorrow, but I can confirm that the Halflings - especially after the last game - will be packed away for quite some time. Next up is EucBowl with Helves, then Redneck Chaos, and Sandgroper Dwarves...

Touchdowns - 6 For - 3 Against

Casualties - 3 For - 11 Against

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:55 pm 

Quote:
I'll chuck something up tomorrow, but I can confirm that the Halflings - especially after the last game - will be packed away for quite some time
At least you could still laugh about it at the end, IMO I reckon they are the hardest of all the teams to play.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I'll chuck something up tomorrow, but I can confirm that the Halflings - especially after the last game - will be packed away for quite some time
At least you could still laugh about it at the end, IMO I reckon they are the hardest of all the teams to play.
Laugh is the only option. I could cry, but most of the issues were of my own - or the dice's - doing. I could get angry, but what's the point? Laugh is the only option...

Touchdowns - 6 For - 3 Against

Casualties - 3 For - 11 Against

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:01 pm 

Well it has been a bit but I feel ready for writing up my match reports

So for Sandgroper 7 I took the Sengoku Shoguns as humans, who I had a couple of practice games with but didn't truly have a good handle on but wanted to use and didn't expect too much. I swapped out guard on the blitzers for mighty blow as I wanted a more fun type of game.

Round 1 - Rob, Warpstone Cometeers, Skaven CHALLENGE!
This was the round that I had to win. That is all I wanted from this tournament to beat Rob in this game. I got a lucky card with Rowdy Fans and with a blizzard blowing in meant the speed was reduced a bit in this game. A couple of very quick KOs and cas had me with the advantage and ground down a TD by half time. With his KO's not coming back for the second I pressed my advantage and hunted the gutter runners. Securing a second TD late in the half meant the win for me and I just went for pain after that. Great Game and I overjoyed at the time.
Score 2-0 Cas 4 (2ex) - 1 (0ex)

Round 2 - Nick, 311 Spartans, Humans
So human on human action was to commence, with neither team knowing much. After showing Nick the better way to setup chain blocks, I proceeded to send a number of his team to the KO and Cas bins, securing a couple of TD's by the half. Of note in the first half was the 2 rocks thrown at the kick offs both hitting me with one as a cas. The second half again was similar to my first game where I used my number advantage to contain and beat while scoring. Awesome game as I've talk to Nick a fair bit but haven't had much chances to play against him and it was a pleasure to do so.
Score 5-0 Cas 6(0ex)-1(1ex)

Round 3 - Jarrod New Glade Guardians, Wood Elves
I always have issues with high ag and movement teams and Jarrod exploited it. He scored quickly 2 TDs leaving me in a terrible situation. Although I expected this and had spent some time smashing his team up. Pushed through a score before half time and scored again after it making it tied. Even with his reduced numbers Jarrod played carefully, calmly and bloodly elfy scoring another TD. Now desperate my team was being elves themselves and I managed to squeeze another TD leaving him with no time to score again. Intense game and well done to Jarrod who had me on the ropes.
Score 3-3 Cas 4(1ex)-1(0ex)

Round 4 - Greg, Olback's Conquerors, Goblins
The goblin king himself. He sought vengeance for the hiding I gave him in Brawl though both of us were trying to stay awake. Receiving first I had a lot of trouble breaking through his lines (damn diving tacklers) and he pressed hard. I couldn't hold onto the ball and he got the score in. Recovering a bit I blitzed through and was in a position to equalize at the half time but the GFI failed with the reroll leaving me in the deficient. At the start of the second half I was under assault. Even with slighty reduced numbers I still hadn't waded through all the secret weapons and bribes and I defended deep. Tying the ball down and trying to lock down the troll near the ball was incrediably difficult with Greg showing the might of goblins. Eventually I got the ball and was able to score again leaving it little to late to score the winner for either.
Score 1-1 Cas 5(0ex)-2(0ex)

End of First day saw me at equal 3rd and 4 points off the pace. Having played the two above me it meant I had to win during the next day.

Round 5 - Ken, Crocodile Rock, Lizardmen.
My diced turned at the start. They had been rolling great the day before and suddenly they turned (damn you VESH!), Interested by the choice of stand firm on 3 of the Saurus, I quickly grew to hate them. The static wall meant the skinks could run through and cause havoc. Finally breaking away I manage to score, but then Ken quickly countered. Also by this time one Catcher was gone for good and the other was in the KO bin. Through a fair amount of Jam (long pass to a blizter in a TZ dodge, blitz, GFI) i scored my second. With my 2nd catcher returning and my dice coming back I felt confident going into the second half. That lasted about 2 turns when Ken demolished my line and even though I tried my best I just couldn't stop the score. No catchers, 2 blitzers and 1 thrower left, 2 turns to go. Suddenly a crowd drew around and they got a wonderful digusting show of JAMMY BASTARD, with a long bomb, catch in 2 TZ, dodge into one TZ, dodge out and score to win using no rerolls securing the win and leaving me shaking and Ken in disbelief.
Score 3-2 Cas 1(0ex)-3(1ex)

Round 6 - Richard, Green Gnashers, Orcs
I had never played Richard before and the game was a blast. I could have lost this, my wallet and dignity and still would have this as one of the best games ever due to the humor Richard showed. And he needed humor with the chainsaw being sent off in the first turn on a foul with a 12! on the armour roll with then a 3 to tickle the ogre. There was a fair about of stuffing about with the ball on the sideline which suddenly went to the other sideline, which saw an black orc dodge and GFI blitz the ball carrier twice, I was only able to score due to speed and a lucky two dice block. By this time we discovered that as long as we alternate the side of the board that we rolled on per roll we got good results. This lead to a goblin being thrown over my lines, landing and blitzing my ball carrier. Even after I got away that bloodly goblin chased and I was only barely able to get the second score. Feeling complacent, I begun to hate gobbos more as again the gobbo soared like an eagle landed with grace and scored. With several turns left and a flying goblin I held onto the ball to ensure the win.
Score 2-1 Cas 0(0ex)-2(0ex)

Round 7 GRAND FINAL - Rob, Warpstone Cometeers, Skaven
This was called by Rob and never have I felt as much dread when it was called. Then elation as I not only had the chance to beat Rob again but in a Final. The setup had Rob with an advantage of fans and good weather this time around. Receiving first, I saw that Rob's gutter runners had improved a bit and whisked through my lines and caused no end of havoc, getting a score in turn 3-4. Down one TD but up a bit in the numbers I pressed in again and again the gutter runners hampered me. Finally breaking away to score at the end of the half I then rolled that all annoying 1 on the GFI followed by another 1 made the score 0-1 at half time. Second half had the rats score again after my throwers decided to juggle the ball and not pick it up in 2 turns. Caging the ball a bit I was able to get up the pitch swap the play and get the score in. Down one, with the advantage in numbers, 3 turns left Rob set up for an attempt to do a 1 turn TD to seal the deal and the ball scattered on the Rat Ogre. Quickly abandoning the idea of the TD (why did I open my mouth) the Rat Ogre was caged up with gutter runners (that was a disgusting sight) and I had little chance to get the ball. Quickly reading a Scroll of Strength a catcher ran in and tried a 2 Dice block against with a reroll and couldn't get anything other than a push leaving the game there and lost.
Score 1-2 Cas 5(1ex)-2(1ex)

Second place overall not bad but the bitter taste in my mouth was strong as I had come so close. All in all a great weekend and a lot of great games. All were intense and had to focus a lot on the play. The mighty blow paid off a lot it was only against the high AV and STR teams that it didn't get a chance to do much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:03 pm 

Well, finally got my butt in gear to write my match report on the way to the winning the Cup.

Log of a Submarine Captain (or How I won Sandgroper Cup)

My team:

4 Gutter Runners (2 x Block & 1 x Sprint)
2 Stormvermin (Tackle, Guard)
1 Thrower (Leader)
1 Rat Ogre
4 Linemen
3 re-rolls
2 FF
1 AS
1 CL

Match 1 vs Dave's Human scum:

This challenge match was pretty lamely accepted by me and come the day, Dave actually turned up in costume and ready to play. It was pretty much one way traffic for Dave who got off to a hot start and despite my best efforts, he held me scoreless and also belted me in casualties too :( The pink tiara was mine to wear! I portented that when he made the final table, he would choke (more on this later!)

Result: Lose 0-2 (lost casualties)

Match 2 vs Ratt's Halflings:

Oh, the look of despair on Ratt's face was priceless! Nathan played a great game with the flings and very nearly scored first, but I was able to wither down his little flings (the Tackle Stormvermin was having a field day!) whilst keeping out of reach of his trees effectively, causing Deeproot to go down a couple of times going for it.

Result: Win 3-? (can't remember if Ratt scored) and won casualties

Match 3 vs Brett's Nurgle:

It had been a long time since I had played Brett and we had a lot of fun playing out a 1-1 draw which really was a fair result given the hurt he put on my team! I was remembering everytime to roll for Foul Appearance (only failed a few) as I took Nurgle last year and it only got a me a few times. His list was designed to bash and Brett caged up well, without moving the cage as best he could, which did cost him a TD.

Result: Draw 1-1 (lost casualties)

Match 4 vs Slothman's Dark Elves:

Slothy was pretty tired by this point after a long day and I gather a long night the night before. It was pretty even the first half, but I ran away with it to win the game. We have played out draws everytime we played so was good to finally get a result. Always a pleasure to play Damien :)

Result: Win (can't remember score)

So I finished day one on 1 loss, 1 draw and 2 wins to sit 8th at the end of the day. In the draft I managed to get Block for my Rat Ogre (what I wanted!) and Dirty Player on a Linerat (didn't pan out, but did use it once!).

Day 2, Match 5 vs Jamie's Amazons:

Poor Jamie had an absolute howler. Despite knocking my players down repeatedly (especially in the first half), he could just not break armour. Meanwhile, I managed to dislodge the ball and score before the end of the first half. In the second half, Jamie's luck completely deserted him and I was able to seal the game.

Win

Match 6 vs Jarrod's Wood Elves:

Jarrod had been running hot all tournament to this point and it is at this point that Jarrod's luck turned sharply. If I thought Jamie had it bad, I would have forgiven Jarrod for crying. Nothing was working for him and everything was coming up trumps for me including one of my Stormvermins intercepting to score a TD. With the game coming to a close and the score 3-1 to me, Jarrod tried to pass the ball over a loose gutter runner to get a score. Unfortunately for him, the Gutter runner intercepted the ball and scored to make the final score 4-1. As it turned out, this TD gave me enough bonus points to beat Jarrod to the final table by 1 point!

Win 4-1

Grand Final vs....Dave Cotton's Human Scum (again):

The look on Dave's face said it all when the final table was announced. The key moments of the game were his catcher failing a GFI with a re-roll to take it to 1-1 at the half and, with the score 2-1 to me with 3 turns remaining, I set up for the one turn TD to put the match out of reach when the kickoff scattered to the Rat Ogre on the line who caught it! I then spent the next 3 turns playing keepy off with the Rat Ogre holding the ball and the Gutter runners caging him up. Despite Dave's best efforts, he was unable to dislodge the ball and I held on to win and become a the ultimate submarine! Little did I know the day before that my portent of Dave choking in a final would be against me! I have beaten him in 2 BRAWL league finals and now the Sandgroper Cup.