[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Sandgroper 6 Feedback thread - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:48 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:47 pm 

You know what goes here :)

Give us you're feedback, the good and the bad.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:05 pm 

4 games in one day is very taxing and the draft is hard as a result for those that have to leave.

The venue was not bad. Food service was slow as hell, but everything else was good.

Really have to do something about players going over time. I finished all except one game on time (the last against Luke doesn't count as it went to o/t). Got to avoid penalising the players who play in good time. Last thing you want is a chess clock at the table.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:24 pm 

As always, a great event. Looking forward to SG7, I'll be taking Halflings...

The Resteraunt of the pub was great, but the lighting - especially for game four - was somewhat poor. The venue at The Saint and the food at The Albion would make for a perfect match...

Touchdowns - 6 For - 3 Against

Casualties - 3 For - 11 Against

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

The venue wasn't bad, but the Saint was better in nearly all respects IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:00 am 

I liked the venue (personally not a fan of The Saint) - food service was fine for me (maybe I was lucky yesterday) and the food was tasty as well (again better than the Saint)...plus closer for those of us SOR or so it felt when it came to travel time...

I wasnt caught out by going over the time limit (only got close once) but i know a few coaches were and I wouldnt mind there being some system in place to encourage ppl to play quicker as it can disadvantage the other player if someone is slow playing on purpose or its just their natural style of play...not exactly sure how u would make that work but something to think about...

organisation, as always, was pretty good :)

as for the 4 games on saturday - it made for a long day and I was feeling pretty drained by the end of the day but i didnt mind maximising my blood bowl time as i dont play in tournaments very often so felt i really got the most out of my weekend...also i have the luxury of not having family commitments that other coaches have (no kids and the better half worked nights this weekend) so doesnt impact myself as much as it would others, but i can see how it can be difficult for those with kids in particular...

overall - double thumbs up for yet another successful Sandgroper :D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:50 am 

Venue wasnt bad, the lighting was bad however for the last round in each day.

A seven game tournament is going to be required if Sandgroper continues to grow and has the final round as a 'finals' round.

Two thinsg that I think would help out as the four games on Saturday followed by the draft was a bit much.

1. 30 minute earlier start on Saturday, not a huge deal but taht 30 minutes will help

2. Start Sunday at the same time as Saturday and do the draft on Sunday morning. The earlier start on Sunday will help mitigate that the last round MUST have a result so it wont drag out presentations etc to what I thought last night almost seemed too long/late.

Alternatively a revison to the draft system needs to take place ie. bottom 25% get a stat increase of their choice plus any normal skill, next get a double and normal, next get block and any normal while top 25% get any normal plus either thick skull/sneaky git or something like that. Not 100% sure that will work but if time and considering what skill picks to take could streamline the process and maybe tiered a little more.

3. Someone else needs to try and take Drew's Elf team to next years Sandgroper to see if the team really is cursed :wink:

I was dead tired last night but had a good weekend.

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:17 am 

A big plus was the 6 skills instead of 4 from previous years. Made for a lot more variety of teams and structures, making my Nurgle a viable option as well as Slann who need the extra skills.

Agree with Liam that although fun, the draft could be replaced with a more generic system such as he suggested and think it would save a bit of hassle and time.

The standard of painting, sportsmanship and general hobby craft keeps going up each year. Kudos to everyone! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:32 am 

Yeah forgot to add that starting with 6 skills instead of 4 was a good move and makes a lot more teams viable to play.

Wyrd Henchman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:38 am 

i also found the 4th game day one a bit much being a night shift worker and finishing work 7am friday wasnt enough time to swing into days for me (theres only so much coffee/redbull can do) so next year i would have to follow bruno and dropshop's idea in taking a week off (not that i would mind a week off just couldnt afford it this year, shouldnt be a prob next yr)

6 skills were nice, but i think the khemri could do 4 just as well

the lighting def could have been better (and a shade screen in the morning as my round 1 opponent day 1 suffered playing in blinding morning sunlight (not that it effected the result), but i did lend him my sunnies.

all my games finished within time, (one 30mins b4 deadline) but the last being a cerebral challenge would have gone over if not for my winning special game card that turned all players into rookie gobo's and left the skavens last ditch effort of getting a draw and o/t 1 square short.

the food was fine, they did have to cater for 50+ orders coming in at the same time, u'd never get as many onion rings for the cost if you went to hj's or a chip shop, wedges were just as good serving size

The location was fine re travel (especially as i rode to dropshorts and got a lift the rest of the way), but the big bonus the saint had was way more perve value if u wanted to hit the bar after the days gaming.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 am 

I hope future SG keeps the seven game format - that was the big improvement from my last SG in my opinion. Reckon I agree with the day 2 draft, tho'.

This year's Sandgroper was my favourite of the three that I've played, and I'd just like to thank the organisers and the all players for making it so. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:38 am 

forgot to add that i too liked the 6 skills set up...and as much as i hate the FF1 minimum it does make things interesting :D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:33 am 

I have pretty good eyesight and even I was having trouble seeing at the beginning of the day and later in the evening.

Still wracking my brain over what to do with the time situation. Stop clocks is going too far, but maybe bring them out during the 30 minute warning if you are only at halftime? Really not sure, but it is very frustrating for those who can play in a timely manner when they have an opponent who cannot.

Cheers
Rob

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 am 

i never had an issue with the lighting in the venue...maybe some shade blinds and stronger lights in the room would have helped ppl i guess...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:47 am 

going to say that I finished my games in time (most games finishing with 5-15 minutes spare) from the start though there is a good chance that might have been my dice betraying me ending my turn early in most games, so Virral (pretty sure it was you) you still want those dice?
Also my feedback is love the 6 six skills, didn't love the chaos pact.... six skills don't help them much like other teams.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:19 am 

agree about the lighting, thought it really depends if your having to try and read 'low contrast' dice or not. time was never a problem for me, i didnt bother with any overtime tho, just happy to let a draw be a draw. if you want to control game time you really should introduce timers, i would feel like a royal douche complaining that my opponent is taking too long. so either leave it relaxed and accept it, or regulate it properly i cant see any middle ground there that would work. personally i dont mind either way.

four games was really tiring, but at the end of the day its a tournament and it should push people to their limits a bit. im not a morning person so i would rather see things run later into the evening than starting up any earlier. yeah food service was slow but you cant really do anything about that.

would be nice to see something other than a blank projector screen for most of the day. maybe the current points standings, or just some random statistics popping up like most cas for, most cas against, that sort of thing. even the sandgroper logo sitting there would be an improvement. seems like prime advertising space too, perhaps you could use it to lever some more prizes or even some sort of beer company sponsorship if thats what you wanted to do.