It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:00 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:53 am 

Put me down for Undead (Elves / Dwarfs forthcoming...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:22 am 

Quote:
Put me down for Undead (Elves / Dwarfs forthcoming...)
No worries will put you in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:39 am 

Just received an email from Jason at Tactics; apparently there is a starter set with mini rulebook? I've ordered one of those... :P

Was also inquiring about Mantic's 40k equivalent, not heard anything back on that yet. Would love to get back into a Sci-Fi wargame, but 40k has been rubbish (for me) since 3rd Ed onwards... :roll:

Last edited by Kitty White on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am 

Does the starter set include the hardback rules? I know for a fact that the hardback contains everything (all the lists and magical artifacts) I am not sure if the softies have everything in them. I do have the soft rules as well as the hardback but my soft rules don't have all the unit entries, however they are over a year old.

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Ki ... ebook.html This is the hardback

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 am 

No idea what rules it contains. Guess we'll have to compare when we get them...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:54 pm 

Put me down as twilight kin, but ATM won't be doing games as not in Perth and haven't got any models

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:45 pm 

the starter kit has a small rule book. with the first four armies and the rules they have the basic lists for dwarves, elves, orcs and undead. they do not have the new units for those armies.
It dose have the rules .

the kings and legends book has updates for char, and the new ogres army list.

Justin

my blog http://firewaterportal.blogspot.com/
email firewaterportal@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:38 am 

I have a colossal Undead army comprising over 800 minis with every conceivable option available, and about 95% painted (only my latest delivery of Werewolves and Mummies remain to be given a good lick of paint, but the big-dogs are nearly done). Probably about 6000 points worth all in, but I have not bothered to add it up. Whatever points size it is the army is a truly awesome presence on the tabletop. I'll have to attach a photo when I get a chance.

I am also working up an Army of Men based around converting my LOTR Gondor Army to WHFB bases. ATM I have about 1500pts of Men on the ready list with more building (including some lovely Teutonic and Templar Knights/Infantry recently acquired from Tactics). I recenty played using an allied Undead/Men list and it was a truly fierce combination.

These two armies comprises predominantly Mantic minis but there is a smattering of WHFB (VC's), LOTR (Gondor/Feifdoms) Warlord (P&S + HC), Old Glory, Perry (Samurai), Deus Vault (Teutonic/Templar), A&W (Indian Mutiny) and even some over-scale MLRS from Dystopian Legions (EOBS) that look particularly dangerous on the tabletop.

I've played several games from 1000 to 3500 points and they were all easily played in an afternoon. The KoW rules are short and easy to learn and their simplicity allows players to focus on tactics rather than determining who is the smartest 'Battlefield Lawyer', accompanied by endless thumbing of the rulebook.

So I'm up for games as well when I am around Perth. Happy to take on multiple opponents if players have small lists.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 am 

I'm thinking a samurai army as well; I have one box I bought randomly a few years ago but had no rules set for...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:35 pm 

Quote:
Put me down as twilight kin, but ATM won't be doing games as not in Perth and haven't got any models
Done, just post here when/if you start constucting an army and then I can update it.
Quote:
So I'm up for games as well when I am around Perth. Happy to take on multiple opponents if players have small lists.
Added to the list.
Quote:
I'm thinking a samurai army as well; I have one box I bought randomly a few years ago but had no rules set for...
They would make an impressive army, and with the diversity of all the ranges out there you can really make it your own.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:49 pm 

Thinking of painting them up either as Imagawas or Takedas...

What list should I use? One of the fantasy ones, or one of those non official fan made ones? Wouldn't mind using the unofficial Roman lists as I have Gauls and Romans (not built but in pieces...)

EDIT: Put me down as Elves, as I think I can make about 1000pts using Citadel and Mantic models now...I'll forget about dwarfs...They just aren't my type of army (no offense Frosthammer... :P ). Probably give me a month / month and a half to receive my starter set, get things assembled, and I'll be ready for some small games...actually, pending what I can make up from odds and ends, I'll see if I can get the elves to 1000pts. If so, I'll arrange something sooner... :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 pm 

hey
so i started collecting KOW with Baz about a year ago as i've always wanted a fantasy army but didn't want to do the Warhammer thing. basically after a few games of warhammer i thought the game was pretty average (or crap imo). we bought a the new KOW rule book between us, played a game with his LOR stuff, thought it was pretty good and so went from there.

KOW is a good game, there's still a few issues for me (maybe im just rubbish) but in general its well designed and plays well. ive enjoyed learning and playing (while mostly losing) to Baz a lot and he asked me if i could put up some photos of my army just to show some people.

i started collecting dwarfs which i think have turned out pretty well. the basic "ironclad" troops look great as well as the "shield breakers" but the "iron watch" were a little disappointing.
i have to say that while Mantic's plastics are a bit hit and miss their metal figure's (hero's + berzerker's) are really good and are well worth it. I've also included my pike and shotte (warlord games) army which i use as humans. all of warlords plastic stuff is really good and pretty cheap, i'm really happy with both armies.

all the dwarfs you see here (little less then 200 figures) including 30 metal figures and paints cost a total of $220 which i think is awesome and took 7 months to paint.
Baz is a much better painter then me and should really put up some of his army which look stunning.

im very sorry about the quality of the photos, they were taken on my phone.

ironclad which i use a bulwarkers

ironwatch gunman. little disappointed with these

heros

veterans

Berzerkers

Cannons. i have 3

Pike

Shotte

Cavalry. probably my favorite out of everything

Prince Rupert. photo doesn't do this model justice

everything

Last edited by Smith48 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:46 pm 

Not sure about anyone else, but the pics aren't working for me...

Warhammer wasn't always crap...It was good, as 40k was, back in the 1990's...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:11 pm 

well first love the army picks.

2nd warhammer 8th I love,
I started with mantic to keep the price down of my armies but I have and enjoyed KoW it seems that we do have a following out there so I think more games are on the cards.

back to the photos great work,

my blog http://firewaterportal.blogspot.com/
email firewaterportal@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 pm 

Can see the pics now... :wink:

As for warhammer, rules aren't actually that bad, as I'm a relaxed gamer anyway (I just like events for the social aspect :P ), but the rules in my opinion have been better...besides, having seen the rules for KOW, I'm hooked. A lot easier to understand than the medieval bible that is warhammer, and much cheaper. Personally, I find the Mantic models endearing, in the same way as I found the 1980-1990 Citadel range. Not actually much of a fan of a lot of the newer models...

Making an elf army now; cobbling what I can find of citadel wood elves, high elves and a single regiment of 20 proper mantic elves... :P