It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Deck Building games
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 pm 

After being introduced to Deck Building Games last year, I'm sort of tempted to buy in to this genre, but for the life of me i cant remember the name of the game i was playing... it had ship tokens and was a sci-fi planet/empire building theme
So any suggestions would be great... would like to stick to sci-fi theme, and where to buy, and approx cost (are they expensive???)

cheers, and sorry if sounds vague

VP

Post subject: Re: Deck Building games
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:07 am 

Gee, deck building science fiction games?

You might just be asking about my current obsession.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... p?eidm=207
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1247 ... -netrunner

It's an LCG (Living Cardgame) which means you don't randomly by boosters and get random cards. Once per month they release starters of 20 cards. Note that it has an 8.47/10 rating on Boardgamegeek. Game's been out since the start of the year, a revamp of a 90's ccg.

The core set costs $55 from Good Games (they have stock) or about $35 from Defiant (who never have stock). It contains 250 cards and heaps of tokens. It contains everything you need to start playing. Each expansion costs $13-20 depending where you get it from.

In each expansion pack, you get about 20 cards, 3 copies of each. Which is the maximum you can play.

So cost wise, it's a (up to) $55 startup cost, plus (up to) $20 per month if you want more cards to play with.

It's an asymmetric card game, meaning one player plays the evil megacorporation, one player plays the hacker attempting to thwart them.

The corporation player's deck contains agenda cards. The corporation's goal is to either a) score 7 points of agendas, or b) kill the hacker by frying his brain (flatline). Now the hacker's goal is to either a) steal 7 points of agendas by hacking servers, or b) run the corporation out of cards in his deck. There are cards that deal damage to a hacker. For every damage you take, you discard a card. If you can't discard, you flatline and die.

In the 90's version, there was only hacker and corporation. In this version, they've also added personalities to the factions. Kinda like Warmachine, in the sense that the leader of the army changes the way you play.

There are three runner/hacker factions:
Criminals - They're about money, speed and stealth.
Anarchs - Who just want to watch the world burn. Viruses for all.
Shapers - Who have great hardware.

And four megacorporations:
Jinteki - They specialize in blowing hacker's heads off with traps.
Haas Bioroid - They have a lot of really mean ice and tricks.
NBN - Media corporation. They track the hacker down, empty accounts, etc.
Weyland - A tribute to Alien. Building a Better World. A mean corporation who doesn't care about bad publicity.

Here's examples of a personalities you can play:

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Such a great game. And it's pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 am 

Quote:
After being introduced to Deck Building Games last year, I'm sort of tempted to buy in to this genre, but for the life of me i cant remember the name of the game i was playing... it had ship tokens and was a sci-fi planet/empire building theme
So any suggestions would be great... would like to stick to sci-fi theme, and where to buy, and approx cost (are they expensive???)

cheers, and sorry if sounds vague

VP
Sounds like eminent domain.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:44 am 

Quote:
Sounds like eminent domain.
Thats the one!!! thank you

I have also found "Core Worlds" and "Revolver" anyone played these are they any good???

and where is the best place to buy these do i have to go to the maker direct or is there an online store better stocked with these type of games?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 am 

Try milsims, games empire or games paradise. I think milsims may be the cheapest.