[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Armourdale 2009 Results - WestGamer
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:38 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Armourdale 2009 Results
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 am 

The weekend of the 12th and 13th of December saw an Apocalyptic clash between 54 gamers and the awesome 140000 points worth of forces at their command.

Congratulations to all those who took part in this year’s Armourdale. Below is a list of the winners of the event, the full details of the rankings for each category can be found here.
Overfiend: Overall Tournament Winner (Open)
Iron Snakes
Oliver Paun and Chris Poli

Overfiend (16 and under)
Sponge Bobbian
Owen Davis

Warmaster: Individual Generalship (Open)
TFU
Andrew “Frank” Sinclair

Warmaster (16 and under)
Bringers of Woe
Alex Danaford

Masters of the Chapter: Team Generalship (Open)
Krush Kill Destroy
Kelvin Soong, Kane Young and Drew Edgar

Masters of the Chapter (16 and under)
Sniper, Grot and Chris
Hugh Davis, Sam Skinner and Chris Tidey

Honour Guard: Team Sportsmanship (Open)
Destructor
Ashley Barrot, Scott Hawkins and Gregg Johnson

Honour Guard: Team Sportsmanship (16 and under)
Tranby 1st Regiment
Damon Baldwin, George Blacklock and Rupert Ebery

Medallion Crimson (Open)
Taskforce Retribution
Damian Parkhill

Medallion Crimson (16 and under)
13th fleet
Phillip Peirce

WarKraft: Composition (Peer judged)
Gear Grinders
Todd Benson, Stuart Knox and Peter Platell

WarKraft (Organiser judged)
The Death Knell
Brett Warhurst

Painting Award for best unit or Vehicle (open, as judged by your peers)
Peter Platell
Painting Award for best unit or Vehicle (16 and under, as judged by your peers)
Owen Davis
Painting Award for best cohesive force (open, as judged by your peers)
Justin Blankley
Painting Award for best cohesive force (16 and under, as judged by your peers)
Rupert Eberry
Best Data Sheet
Justin Blankley
Best Formation
Hugh Davis
The Apocalypse will return in Armourdale 2010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 pm 

so... who were in these teams ?
just for the poeple who didnt attend.

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:31 pm 

I was part of Destructor.

Let NO MAN say I'm a bad sport (even when it's true). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:11 pm 

Quote:
Let NO MAN say I'm a bad sport (even when it's true).
Oh I don't that lollypop you were eating after our game looked pretty bitter to me :wink: :mrgreen:

Ecky and I were the Iron Snakes using the true scale movie marines which we really should have play tested first (no stunt doubles next year me thinks or at least with ALOT of restrictions on them), that being said we had 3 fun games and 1 truly intense slug fest at the end (2-1 victory points at the end over 3 turns :shock: ) which we lost, so our army's not that broken :P

Big thanks to Gary for running the event had a blast. Any chance of getting the full results?

.....and now I have to decide which true scale marines to do next, world eaters, alpha legion or night lords.....so many choices.....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:24 pm 

Hehe, although defeat was bitter the lollipop was sweet. God bless chupa chups. :wink:

While the Iron Snakes army seemed kinda broken on day one, our day two battles showed that our own army selection was in fact flawed on several levels. Still, we learned heaps and (my Iron Snake-related moping notwithstanding) had a lot of fun. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:32 pm 

54 guys and gals smashing it out, sounds like a great day gary, out of interest how many teams were actually competing, just a curiosity thing i guess, coz that's a whole lot of 40k loving....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

I have to agree that posting actual player names would be a good idea. Those team names really mean nothing to me as I wasn't there and didn't see who was in them or what they took.

Congrats to all the winners!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:48 pm 

congrats guys, i wish i could have gone, but i was still abit ill on sunday arvo...

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:12 pm 

Due to popular demand I've added the player’s names to the first post :wink:

Hopefully the pdf of the full rankings will be available soon.

There were:
  • 7 Players in the open individual event + 1 Ringer
    3 Players in the 16 and under individual event
    14 Teams, totalling 35 Players in the open team event
    3 Teams, totalling 8 Players in the 16 and under team event
There were also two players who were MIA for various reasons :(

As always any feedback is appreciated and will be considered for next year’s event.

I’m already considering the following:
Movie Marines: I don’t think they will get a sequel next year at this stage! I really liked the idea and the models and the effort that went into them. However I didn’t adequately consider the effect of the stunt doubles. They certainly weren’t the cheesiest or most broken list to come through my inbox but I do regret not identifying the stunt double issue.

Holding/contesting multiple objectives with 1 unit: Although this is now a standard rule in 40K, I will probably change this for next year as it encourages objective clumping and a few other problems that became apparent in the games played.

Horde armies: Whilst 5000 points gives you the potential to field a massive horde of Tyranids, Orks or Guard for example this can be a bit time consuming. Only getting to complete two turns after 2 hours isn’t really fair on the opponent.

Please let me know what you liked or didn’t like and/or what you would like to see next year. Last year’s feedback resulted in changes to what can hold objectives and the 0-5 limit on super heavies/gargantuan creatures.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:26 pm 

Gary I agree on the stunt doubles issue, would movie marines be acceptable without them? As I really would like to be able to keep making and using them :D (as for all the hate towards the captain he got vortex grenaded in 2 games out of 4) if not no major dramas I'm sure I can think of something even cheesier :mrgreen:

Event feedback
-Pre-determined and clearly visible deployment was a big win/time saver as were the supplied objective counters (as lets face not everyone has them)
-Venue itself was good (and well ventilated which in that weather helps alot)
-Table size was spot on I found
- The horde armies issue is a tough one as that's what apocalypse can be about, maybe limit the max model number at something (150? 200 minis?)
- Terrain while I can appreciate there is a staggering amount required more if painted would be nice
- The scoring this year was good (at least IMO) as it made you work for the big wins

my 2C :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 pm 

is there any pic's of the day :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 pm 

Thanks Olly,

I would like to see the Movie Marines next year as well. Assuming that they do their own stunt work, then that would go some way towards addressing the game balance issue. I still think that some form of combat squadding is required. As 26-28 hard to kill 1 man units is still a significant advantage. Maybe 3 man teams, as 5 man squads would probably swing it to far the other way.
I wouldn’t mind seeing a Rhino as well!

I’m hoping to get some volunteers to work on the terrain over the next year. I recently assembled most of the Planetstrike terrain that was at the event and have Cityfight terrain waiting for assembly as well. Ironically I took a week’s holiday before the event to prepare the terrain, but I lost three days due to a cold and then the tilers that were due to start in my house tomorrow, decided they wanted to do the work last week. I had to empty the contents of 5 rooms, so time and space got away from me :(

Oh and a drunk driver rammed the Kitchen at the hall and I spent Friday trying to organise access to the fridge etc. Fortunately everything went well on the weekend from my perspective, so it made all the drama worth it.

Timmy I will post some photos shortly, though we forgot to take a group happy snap!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:40 pm 

To add my 2 cents I thought the weekend went very smoothly & I had a real blast. Gary thank you for all the effort that you put in. It was appreciated.

I think that the troops as scoring units idea was a good one. Taking a 2500 point Titan ment that whilst I could kill you real good my chance of winning a game was greatly reduced. In fact I lost 3 out of 4 games and the one that I did win Big Red got blown up in a nuclear meltdown....go figure...but have to say seeing him go down was a real highlight.

Personally that is the fine line for me in apoc. Yes you can take big things, but they can over power the game and take away the fun.I saw this call as a good equaliser and would support it into the future.

As for hoard armies perhaps you should introduce a time limit on each turn. So if you want to take 300 troops, fine. Just move them all in 30 minutes otherwise you miss out. It's not much fun watching someone take an hour to play a turn and only getting in 2 turns means that you really cant do much.

Just my thoughts,
Cheers,
BB

BTW - I can't seem to download the full results. Is anyone else having that problem?

Those who oppose the forces of darkness do not survive. those who oppose it die under the stampeding feet of its minions and those that don't have no promises, for the gods are fickle beings of truths, half-truths, and whole lies.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:26 am 

Thanks once again to Gary and his army of volunteers and assistants for putting on an awesome event, I really had a blast! As for feedback, I think things actually went very smoothly. Everyone was pretty cool-headed despite the temperature outside (and the hall was a lot cooler than I had expected), and spirits were high from what I saw of the other games. I would have to agree about the idea of single units being able to contest/capture a single objective each as one unit of Harlequins typically held about 2-3 objectives at a time for me. At times, it felt a little cheap, and I certainly wouldn't bemoan a limit on what one unit can do. The other thing I would consider mentioning is whether a vehicle counts as moving or not in the case of first turn assaults (pretty certain it doesn't, which makes for a lot of potential pain).

Thanks must also go out to my opponents - Damian, Jason, Sean and Justin - for all being great opponents and providing me with 4 great games, with nobody giving any quarter or shying away from the battle no matter what level of carnage was inflicted. The game Sean and I played had to be the most intense 40k game I've ever played, and that we managed a final score of 7-6 Victory Points really do it justice. I've now faced off against two Stormlords, and I didn't manage to take down either of them (curses!!!!!). I had a pretty damned brutal list, and my tactic worked in every game I got to play - using my vehicles as fire beacons while encircling the enemy with Flank Marching, Careful Planning enhanced Terminators and Dreadnoughts. I certainly will be back next year, with a completely different army and multiple strategies - I'll see about not using Flank March at all for a start.

The most hilarious moment for me had to be taking down Justin's Baneblade, with the resulting explosion taking out more of my own troops than the damned tank was actually worth. It took several minutes for me to stop laughing, and a bit longer for the occasional giggle-fit to subside. Of the five superheavies I remember taking down, it was the only one to actually have the hide/nerve/guts to blow up! :)

At the end of the tournament, despite knowing how I'd done throughout my games, I was still honestly shocked when my name was called out. I went into Armourdale expecting middle of the pack placings, and to score better than that on pretty much all fronts really makes for a great beginning to my tournament scene return. I'm looking forward to taking Spiv's mantle of tourney 'ho' this coming year, starting with either PAGS' tourney or GPDA's 40k leg. See you on the battlefields!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:59 am 

Gary and his team great work .

it was fun as always. This year I really had no real issues with the event. hall was great tables where great and the pre set deployment zones really did save time.

about the limit on troop sizes I do like the timed idea as if you still want a lots you need to be ready to work for a win.
I play guard and just to let you know I only had 100 or so guardsmen. I took 156 guardsmen to the 1000 pt tga torn. with only 4'x4' tables.

now need to look at next years projects for my guard.

my blog http://firewaterportal.blogspot.com/
email firewaterportal@gmail.com