[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Janissaries 2014 Results - WestGamer
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:53 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Janissaries 2014 Results
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:31 pm 

Janissaries 2014
Overall Winner
Neil Sorensen (White Scars)

2nd Richard Owen (Imperial Guard)
3rd Marcus Banting (Orks)

Generalship
Thomas White(Grey Knights*)

2nd Neil Sorensen (White Scars)
3rd Richard Owen (Imperial Guard)

Sportsmanship
John Dick (Tyranids)

2nd Dylan Ackland (Tyranids)
Equal 3rd Mark Bruce(Chaos Space Marines)& Ghislaine Small (Chaos Daemons)

Best Army
Anton Vitte (Tau)

2nd Marcus Banting (Orks)
Equal 3rd Daniel Machaj (Blood Angels), Shane Breadsell (Iron Hands) and Rhys Kingdon (World Eaters Legionaries)

Painting
Ghislaine Small (Chaos Daemons)

Honourable Mentions, Shane Breadsell (Iron Hands), Richard Owen (Imperial Guard) and Peter Platell (Imperial Guard)
The complete results are available here and have also been sent to RHQ.

Thanks to all of you who made the trip up, down (especially the 4 Members of AVWA) or across to play at Janissaries, we had 26 players.

Thanks to Christopher Thomas, Richard Henderson and Grant Eakin for their help in running the event, and Alexander and Matthew Danaford, HughDavis and Matthew Davey for setting up and tidying up.

Please post any comments or feedback here or pmail me if you prefer.

Thanks

Gary

*Grey Knights Not Included :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:57 am 

I enjoyed the event. I think hull points need to be restricted to say 12 though. Unless we play bigger games like 2500 or 3000.

2000 point armies cannot deal with 18+ hull points and void shields!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:52 pm 

12 total in like or max of 12 on one vechile... Otherwise u might just nned to pack more meltas/heavy weapons, melta bombs or include some units that can deal with armour really well.

But hey u know me i hate vechiles so i made sure my list can destroy them extremly well

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:19 pm 

Honestly the AV on the vehicle is pretty important too. 12 HPs of AV12 is completely normal, and you can deal with it. 12 HPs of AV14 is another thing entirely. Some people will take a single Land Raider because its so hard to deal with and thats only 4 HP.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm 

taking out 12 HP of AV 14 shouldn't really a problem at all for most armies. the problem truly stems from what those 12+HP are firing at you, hitting you with, tank shocking, transporting, running around with etc.

no one would bat an eye if you put 12HP vehicle with no weapons or transport capacity or special effects on the table.

strap a few D cannons, 36inch move and 4+ invulnerable on that same 12HP and everyone loses their minds!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:52 pm 

Quote:

strap a few D cannons, 36inch move and 4+ invulnerable on that same 12HP and everyone loses their minds!
But that ones only av12 again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:06 pm 

Nice one Neil, but I thought you ragequit 40k a couple of months back?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:08 pm 

Quote:
Nice one Neil, but I thought you ragequit 40k a couple of months back?
Neil doesn't have a girlfriend, he has to rage quit at least once a week :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:21 pm 

What does not having a girlfriend have to do with hobby ??? But thanx... =/

Ummm dunno if i raged quit 40k a couple of months ago Matt, my gaming group all moved to fantasy as a hobby break from 40k so i jumped over with them. Was pretty disgusted with Escalation when it came out and reading it rules (well in january any way didnt look at 40k for a few months) , but after the event its not to bad still think D-weapons are to brutel for the game (though i didnt verse any thankfully.

And cheers man was a surprising win.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:57 am 

Quote:
What does not having a girlfriend have to do with hobby ???
Well the most commonly held belief is that women don't rate playing with toy soldiers high on the list of desirable traits for a mate. Never found it a problem myself, but that is the most commonly held girlfriend/hobby relationship theory.

I guess the implication is that if you had bigger problems like a girlfriend :wink: Then you wouldn't have had time to dwell on the possible problems a change in the rules brings :)

Just imagine what the world might have been like if Hitler had meet Eva Braun (or probably someone who wasn't 8 ) in 1920. He probably wouldn't have had time to brood over those Treaty of Versailles rules :shock:

Congratulations on your win as well Neil, it was well deserved and pleasingly ironic given your choice of army and some of your earlier posts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:56 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Well the most commonly held belief is that women don't rate playing with toy soldiers high on the list of desirable traits for a mate. Never found it a problem myself, but that is the most commonly held girlfriend/hobby relationship theory.
I guess I lucked out then, my girl loves that I play 40k. Aside from the occasional weekend where she won't see me, she doesn't have a problem with it. I spend half my spare time painting on the couch while she watches whatever reality TV is popular this month. She likes to play with my models and make shooting sounds. While it does cost a bit, it's still cheaper than comparitive hobbies. She'd much prefer me playing tabletop games than out boozing with the boys (which happens a bit anyways), and it makes for a much more social person than the WOW nerd.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:02 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I guess I lucked out then, my girl loves that I play 40k. Aside from the occasional weekend where she won't see me, she doesn't have a problem with it. I spend half my spare time painting on the couch while she watches whatever reality TV is popular this month. She likes to play with my models and make shooting sounds. While it does cost a bit, it's still cheaper than comparitive hobbies. She'd much prefer me playing tabletop games than out boozing with the boys (which happens a bit anyways), and it makes for a much more social person than the WOW nerd.
toche my friend.

Neil i was suggesting that you might have required some sort of exploding as you dont have a girlfriend to help you with that i.e you had a release when you rage quit but you didnt realy quit the hobbie and it was because you needed .......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:27 pm 

Cheers all, had a great day. Coming out Best Army was a surprise given the feelings some people have towards the Tau dex. There were certainly much more hc tau lists then i had on the day, but i suppose this made for a more balanced list and gameplay my end. If only Riptides would stop failing Nova charge, they had a death wish on the day rolling well below average hitting at least 5 self wounds per game (between 2).

i have a mixed feeling about escalation.... probably leaning more towards the "not so keen on it" side. Have not had enough games to really decide. I hope escalation is not part of every tournament. Packing to much heavy / elite purely to kill them does not make for hugely enjoyable game.

My only suggestion for the Tournament is somehow extending lunch a little. Every time i play at Armadale i only seem to get 30min to go down and get some food from Chicken Treat, only have to scoff it down while i am rolling off table halves of the next round. I am not sure how or where the time is off. To finish the morning game, set up the display-board for judging and then source lunch and ready again for next round 1hr just doesn't quite seem enough. I would certainly be happier to start 30min earlier and get extra 30 for lunch.

Cheers all.... good day!
Anton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:57 pm 

Technically lunch was a hour, however some people did play into the lunch break.

We ran the event 15 minute behind schedule for most of the day.

We might look at lunch options and maybe take pre orders.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:22 am 

Thanks to all who attended, some great armies and friendly gamers present.

Thanks a lot Gary for helping us AVWA members out, we really appreciate it.

All the guys had a great time and we all look forward to the next tourny at Armadale.

Regards,

Greg