It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:11 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Imperial Fists Legion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:23 am 

Hi all,

I'm building my first Legion army (imperial fists) and wanted to get some feedback on what I've bought and what I'll be adding.

Bought:
SIGISMUND
IMPERIAL FISTS LEGION COMMAND
MK II MARINES x10
IMPERIAL FISTS LEGION TEMPLAR BRETHREN
CATAPHRACTII PATTERN TERMINATORS w SPECIAL WEAPONS SET
IMPERIAL FISTS CONTEMPTOR DREADNOUGHT w KHERES ASSAULT CANNON & CLOSE COMBAT

Planned:
FIRE RAPTOR GUNSHIP
DEREDEO PATTERN DREADNOUGHT w AIOLOS MISSILE LAUNCHER & HELLFIRE PLASMA CANNONADE
LEGION CHAMPION AND MASTER OF SIGNAL
CATAPHRACTII PATTERN TERMINATORS w POWER FIST SET
SPACE MARINE APOTHECARY SET

MKIII MARINES x 20
MK II MARINES x 10
LEGION MKIII POWER WEAPONS SET
LEGION MISSILE LAUNCHER SET
LEGION PLASMA GUN SET
LEGION SICARAN BATTLE TANK

Plus some IF should pads and torsos.

Thoughts or advice?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:43 am 

I know a guy that plays a lot of heresy but isn't on here much, if you do come down to Outpost next week I'll point him out to you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:18 am 

Ok, what you need to remember is that the rule set for 30k is different to 40k. Only troops score for starters and this makes a huge change in the way you need to build armies.

Sigismund - you wont have the points to use him before about 2000 point games - he is as close as an astartes gets to a primarch though and there is little except those and other lords of war he should fear.

The command squad needs extra bodies to be really useful and a transport as well

Mk2 marines - these will form up your troops and you need more!

The Templar brethren are great models but very expensive on the table - again, larger games are needed

Terminators make a great second troops choice with the pride of the legion rite of war as you can get them into smaller games. They are also rock solid on the table.

Contemptors are always great - dual assault cannon is probably a better build but I like the CCW with the AC on mine

Planned models :

Fire raptor - unless you are a very experienced model builder - skip it. Its horrific to build and requires a huge amount of work. The Xiaphon is a better model to build and does what the FR does and is what I would recommend unless you feel brave

Deredeo - I would go the auto cannons myself as you get a great flexible platform.

The champion and master of signal can easily be converted from other models - unless you really want them there are other ways

The extra termies will always be good and the apothecaries will see use in the larger squads

The extra marines and weapons are all solid choices as well - you can probably hold off on the missiles and plasma in the short term as those form dedicated and expensive units.

The torsos and heads are great for building your sarges so they really stand out.

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:11 pm 

I would second what Massaen says there about the Fireraptor, it's a monster to build.

If any of the panels are miscast or warped you have a major job on your hands!

I'd rather build a Warhound...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:38 pm 

Thanks heaps for the feedback.

I may rethink the fireraptor now, although I'm reasonably confident in my modeling skills/experience. Always a risk with big resin models...

Would you go with multiple contemptors over the dreado? I've got some magnets inbound so I'm going to magnatise the weapons on the contemptor I have with the idea of getting different weapons for him. So I could have contrmptors for cc or fire support.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:18 pm 

I have been building and painting models for 25 years now and I don't want to try the fire raptor given the issues the kit has!

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:55 pm 

I love the look of the fire raptor and have been thinking about getting one for a while. I was unaware that there are issues with it so now I'm rethinking it myself. What are the issues other than warping/miscasting and how do you go about rectifying those issues.

I have to say when Mike and Rod both cringe at building this I get a sad face

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:23 am 

Quote:
I love the look of the fire raptor and have been thinking about getting one for a while. I was unaware that there are issues with it so now I'm rethinking it myself. What are the issues other than warping/miscasting and how do you go about rectifying those issues.

I have to say when Mike and Rod both cringe at building this I get a sad face
It mainly comes down to how well the side walls and the lower hull section are cast, any big mould lines or warping of those three pieces will basically result in big gaps and a misaligned upper hull and rear.

That and it's a hybrid plastic/resin model which is always tricky.

It's a fantastic model though, and once it's built and painted it's done. You just need a lot of patience.....a lot of patience!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:32 am 

If its the 1 i think it is, its huge and awesome and a total nightmare to put together (friends, not me, have them)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:22 am 

This is the Fireraptor. The storm eagle has the same issues.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Fire-Raptor-Gunship

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:34 pm 

It really depends what Rite of War you are going with. More troops are definitely needed as other people have posted. My Stone Gauntlet IF have 30 breachers, 20 tacticals, a 5 man support squad and a 15 man phalanx warden unit. The heresy era armies require a lot of points in the troop choices and as such you will mostly be playing higher points games.

Hangar 19: Southwest Gaming Club @ Unit 5/31 Denning Road, Bunbury.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:19 pm 

Awesome, thanks very much for the advice.

When you say large games for HH, how large do you mean? I'm thinking of this will end up around 2000pts.

The other thing is that I'm also trying to make this collection useful to build a 40K army out of is well. so that's one of the reasons why I'm going to grab some missile launchers and plasma guns so I can build up some troops to use the special and heavy weapon guys for 40K squads.

Rather than going with the fire raptor in the next order, as people seem to think that's a real nightmare to build and a few other blogs are saying if suggested likewise would it be better to get a couple of other contemptors and set them up for fire support (i.e. dual assault cannons) or a couple of dreado pattern dreadnoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:36 pm 

The heresy lists don't work very well at all below 2000 points in my experience and I think the sweet spot is about 2500-3000 points

2000 points will be...

a couple of tactical squads (approx. 400 points minimum but could be as much as 700)
a HQ of some kind (approx. 150 but could be as much as 250 with Sigismund)
a couple of dreads (approx. 400 points)
a handful or 2 of terminators (approx. 400 points)
a cool support unit or 2 (approx. 400-600 points)

as you can see, it will be small - 40 models or so I would expect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:39 am 

Thanks all for your help a d advice. I'll make a couple of amendments to the next orders and repost.

I'd say I'll leave the fire raptor till a later date and instead look at getting some extra dreads or tanks, and some boarding shields/ breachers.

If I stock up on shields is there a need for rhinos still?