It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:56 pm 

Hi All,

I'm about to start work on getting an army together for KoW in October and I'm curious to see what people are using at this points level.
For me, I plan on taking literally almost every Orc I own from my Fantasy army. This is what I ended up with :D

Krudger on Slasher, Wings, Blade of Slashing (Hero/Monster)
God Speaker, Bane Chant upgrade (Hero)
God Speaker, Bane Chant upgrade (Hero)
Flagger (Hero)
Ax (Horde)
Ax (Horde)
Great Ax (Regiment)
Great Ax (Regiment)
Troll (Horde)*
Troll (Horde)*
Giant (Monster)
Giant (Monster)

There's no real reason behind having two of everything, it's just that with the models I own, this was the most economical way to divide them up.

What are you guys / girls using then? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:03 pm 

I'm in a similar situation, with my goblin army basically being every painted model I have for the army. Looking back, the last list I took was;

King
Wiz w. Banechant & Talisman of Inspiration
Wiz w. Banechant
Flaggit
Biggit on Fleabag

Sharpstick Horde
Rabble Horde w. Brew of Courage
Rabble Regiment
Rabble Regiment
Fleabag Regiment w. Pipes of Terror
Spitters Regiment
Mawbeast Regiment*
Mawbeast Regiment*
Fleabag Troop
Fleabag Troop
Mawbeasts Troop

Rock Thrower
Rock Thrower
War Trombone
Sharpstick Thrower
Sharpstick Thrower
Giant

I need to make some adjustments though, especially since I recently realsied that Mawbeasts are irregular and thus I've got two too many Heroes/Monsters/Warmachines!

Malifaux Henchman
Currently Painting: KoW Salamanders
Models Painted this Year: 38 (2015: 265)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:32 pm 

For my last 5 games I have recently been using with some success the following list below. I have two more variations I can put together, one with a bigger focus on infantry and one with a bigger focus on cavalry. This is my middle ground list currently and I think I have worked out its kinks.

That does look interesting Brookesy, the breath attack is a really good tool for the Orcs especially with those hordes around. It also looks like you can boost the Orc Ax with CS2 quite easily. 2 of is a good thing.

1 Krudger on Winged Slasher
1 Krudger on Gore
1 Flagger on Gore, Diadem of Dragon Kind
1 Flagger, Boomstick

3x Skulk Troops
2x Gore Rider Regiments
1x Troll Horde
1x Orc Ax Horde
1x Orc Greatax Horde, Amulet of Thorns
1x Orc Ax Regiment

Now I haven't had the chance to play those Goblins recently Adrian but that list is truely massive .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:50 am 

dragon lord w ensorcelled armour
mage- bane chant 2, inspiring
mage- bane chant 2.

horde archers with keen eye
horde archers with piercing arrow
horde of spears with vicious
regiment of palace guard w grenade
regiment of palace guard w diadem of dragon
horde of stormwind cav w pathfinder
2x dragon breath
2x bolt thrower

heaps of range pressure. I think it could lose pretty hard to scenario although the dragon has been pretty handy for holding that off long enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:50 pm 

The last lists I used were:

Forces of Nature:
Salamander Veteran (ensorcelled armor) (saurus oldblood)
Druid (heal, lightning bolt) (skink priest)
Druid (heal, lightning bolt)
Niad regiment (skinks)
Niad regiment
Salamander regiment (saurus)
Salamander regiment
Salamander regiment (brew of crushing strength) (temple guard)
Centaur regiment (saurus cav)
Fire Elemental horde (kroxigor)
Air Elemental regiment (terradons)
Air Elemental regiment
Beast of Nature (lightning bolt) (ancient steg with engine of the gods)
Beast of Nature (lightning bolt)

Elves:
Dragon (with something I haven’t decided on, probably the march and fire item)
ASB (boomstick)
ASB (healing charm)
Palace Guard regiment
Palace Guard regiment
Palace Guard regiment
Stormwind regiment
Stormwind regiment
Drakon regiment
Drakon regiment
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

I’m currently working on a Twilight Kin list since I really want to combine my elves and daemons, and am trying to stay away from a dragon with the fenulian amulet (although it is rather hard to pass up on a vicious lightning bolt (7) height 4 unit!) I want to try running a few more heroic individuals since I have generally been pretty unit heavy so far.

They are looking like:
Lord on steed (boomstick)
Sorceress on steed (breath 10, lightning 5, talisman of inspiration)
ASB on steed (diadem of dragonkin)
ASB (healing charm)
Reaper Guard regiment
Reaper Guard regiment
Lower Abyssal horde
Lower Abyssal horde
Abyssal Rider regiment
Abyssal Rider regiment
Dark Knight regiment
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

Or

Dragon (fenulian amulet)
ASB (boomstick)
ASB (diadem of dragonkin or healing charm)
Reaper Guard regiment
Reaper Guard regiment
Reaper Guard regiment
Lower Abyssal regiment
Lower Abyssal regiment
Abyssal Rider regiment
Abyssal Rider regiment
Dark Knight regiment
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower

As a general tip you want plenty of inspiring units, and have a spare or two. A lot of us have been getting by with three inspiring units (any less would be pretty hard work unless no effort was made to kill them)…….and I could easily see the assassination of inspiring units becoming a big thing. (This is why I want more heroic individuals, and lots of height 4 units with lightning bolt).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:01 am 

Wow no ensorcelled armour on your dragon? I haven't tried anything else because I feel like def 5 opens it way up to being shot off the board. Thats probably looking through elf tinted glasses though.

Also never a single bane chanting mage? Not even a cheeky inspiring talisman one?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:32 pm 

I can comment that boothy's nature list is nasty.

The niads are just hard to kill and I mean really hard to kill.

He has numerous wizards when combined with the two beasts put out a lot s zap. OMG so much zap. And heal.

He does not need bane chant because salamanders are CS1 along with the beasts.

So 3 Games and 3 losses for me so far. Bright side is each loss is getting closer to a draw. Still struggling with the pivot and pivoting through units concept and that chaffing is very hard.

I really love the fact that you actually do need a combined arms approach to do well. So balanced.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:17 pm 

I do really like the idea of the ensorcelled armor on the dragon (or the regen 5+ item, it has good armor and good nerve so should get significant mileage out of regen). Unfortunately in the elf list I didn’t have the extra points needed for this, and would have to drop one of the magic items on the ASB’s to do so (which I don’t really want to do since the spells allow them to actively do something rather than just sit there being inspiring).

The twilight kin dragon is a different prospect, I really want to try the super charged zap with it, and the ASB with healing charm can run along behind healing up any slow buildup of damage. I have been very impressed with my lightning bolt 6 beasts of nature for sniping of war machines and support characters, so vicious lightning 7 should be spectacular for it!

I'm yet to experiment with bane chant. Given the cost of an elven wizard with it I think it needs to be combined with hordes to really prove its worth………and I don’t have any spearmen, and generally prefer melee to shooting so I think I would be better off fielding more units rather than the wizards.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:34 pm 

Yeah thats fair. I've been using the bane chant mages on hordes and always with a buff such as keen eye or vicious and its been incredible often capable of taking out a regiment in one hit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 pm 

Given the speed of Dragons (and other flyers), is pumping them up with the extra armour worth it?
Just seems that you would be better off using their incredible movement and dodging arcs of fire that's all.
If they do turn to face (incurring the -1 making them less likely to kill it), then they aren't targetting the rest of the army which isn't so bad either.

I'm sizing this up from an Orc perspective, the cheaper it is, the more expendable it becomes. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:36 am 

Quote:
Given the speed of Dragons (and other flyers), is pumping them up with the extra armour worth it?
Just seems that you would be better off using their incredible movement and dodging arcs of fire that's all.
If they do turn to face (incurring the -1 making them less likely to kill it), then they aren't targetting the rest of the army which isn't so bad either.

I'm sizing this up from an Orc perspective, the cheaper it is, the more expendable it becomes. :D
I've played the dragon with the armour a few times now and can't see myself changing it. 5 to 6 is huge, theres not many things bringing it down further than 1 from range so its barely scratched before it hits combat, and I've liked it staying around a few rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:45 am 

On the dragon item. As you are paying a loooot of points for the big beasty then it needs to pull its wait so the extra armour is probably worth it as it keeps it going over multiple combats. Mind you I would have thought the reg 5+ is a better pick over the armour for thelong haul just a little more risky with regards to nerve checks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:31 pm 

I was curious what my "ratkin" might look like...

Warrior regiment 90
Warrior regiment 90
Warrior horde 150
Spear regiment 110
Spear regiment 110
Spear horde 180
"Rat ogre" regiment 105

(m) "Hell pit" 210
(m) "Doomwheel" (lightning) 170
(h) Warlock on "bell" 230
(h) Warchief mount 130
(h) Banner 45
(h) Banner 45
(w) "warp lightning cannon" 100
(w) "Warpfire thrower" 60
(h) Warlock 80
(h) Warlock 80

Comes in at 1985, so I could easily drop characters to buy some other upgrades or magic items. It's more than I thought it would be, and I'm pushing my special unit limits right to the edge!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:58 pm 

Quote:
On the dragon item. As you are paying a loooot of points for the big beasty then it needs to pull its wait so the extra armour is probably worth it as it keeps it going over multiple combats. Mind you I would have thought the reg 5+ is a better pick over the armour for thelong haul just a little more risky with regards to nerve checks.
Perhaps elsewhere, in elves though theres lots of healing, i've had games where he is back to full health by the end if the game.

@ Orange, is that list legal. I count 10 hero/warmachines but your regos and horde allow for 9. Nvm, spotted the second horde, 10/11. All good.