It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:37 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm 

Hi,

I haven't played the new Hobbit rules yet (played it a handful of times as LotR SBG), but I'm hopeful to get a day pass to the next event in Perth.

Warband 1
Radagast the Brown
----
Warband 2 1/12
Treebeard
1 Ent
----
Warband 3 11/12
Rúmil
4 Wood Elf Warrior with Wood Elf spear;
3 Wood Elf Warrior with Throwing daggers;
1 Wood Elf Warrior with Elven blade;
1 Wood Elf Warrior with Wood Elf spear; Banner;
2 Guard of the Galadhrim Court
----
Warband 4 7/12
Legolas with Armour; Elven cloak;
7 Wood Elf Warrior with Elf bow;
----
Warband 5 11/12
Thranduil with Armour; Elf bow;
4 Wood Elf Warrior with Wood Elf spear;
3 Wood Elf Warrior with Throwing daggers;
3 Wood Elf Warrior
1 Wood Elf Warrior with Elven blade;
----

So, the tourney uses 3 scenarios. The Lords of Battle, Domination, and a modified To the Death! It's an interesting combo because in one scenario VP's are awarded for every wound and fate point spent; ergo lots of elves = lots of potential VP's for the enemy. In another scenario, having a small number of models makes it all the easier for the opponent to get you down to the magic 25% model count. So ... I want lots of super tough warriors to keep my model count high and my wounds taken low. If only.

Also, all three scenarios have the deployment where units have a 50% chance to have to start within 12" of the centre line. This makes cavalry a tiny bit risky, and bows risky I'd think. However, with one of the scenarios having 5 spread out objectives, I can see the advantage of a bit of speed.

My thoughts on the list I took are to use the threat of the Ents to try to protect my squishier elves. Radagast can hide in the Treemen to try and top up a wounded Ent or knock a Ringwraith off his felbeast ... not too shabby?

Rumil is pretty good at duels as he forces his opponent to reroll 6's. He has two Guards of the Galadhrim Court who will follow him around all day to do whatever it is pikes do these days.

Legolas will most likely be the leader as his elven cloak helps to make him hard to target.

Thranduil has his awesome crown to complement Radagast the Brown.

---------------

Part of me wonders if I'd be better off with three strong Elf warbands on foot, and then a mounted unit of 5 Galadhrim knights with Legolas on horse who run between the three to help out as needed. I could throw Celeborn in for a crazy Def 7 elf! This would give me the potential for more VP's for my enemy which is bad, but perhaps there is strength in numbers which is good!

Am I thinking along the right lines with the list above, or am I right in thinking the list lacks speed?

Joel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:41 pm 

Disregard this as it's not looking like I can make the even unfortunately!

Thanks,

Joel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:59 pm 

Sorry to hear you can't make it, let me know if the situation changes.

The army loos prety good; low armour but elite fight skills with lots of range weapons. The way you described using it sounds very good, although if you do end up making it to this tournament you might want to consider Treebeard instead of Legolas as the leader; both are survivable heroes, but we're using a Heroic Experience Chart and combat monster treebeard benefits more from earning an extra Might or Fate point.

The list does lack speed, but that's only really important in 1 scenario, and since you get to place 2 objectives you can just put them near the central one and have the elves casually stroll over to them while firing bows :D

Radagast can buy a 5pt Sebastian upgrade, if you can manage to find the points.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:20 pm 

5pts for an extra str 1 attack? I guess it gives you an extra chance to roll a 6?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:40 pm 

Quote:
5pts for an extra str 1 attack? I guess it gives you an extra chance to roll a 6?
It's a defensive upgrade IMO. People are quite happy to pay 5pts for a shield on a hero, while an extra attack almost always has a better chance of allowing the hero to avoid damage in combat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:41 am 

Quote:
Quote:
It's a defensive upgrade IMO. People are quite happy to pay 5pts for a shield on a hero, while an extra attack almost always has a better chance of allowing the hero to avoid damage in combat.
I must admit I hadn't thought of that benefit until you mentioned taking Sebastion and I thought, "Why anyone would want an extra attack that most likely wouldn't hurt anyone?" It's a hedgehog shield for the win!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:38 am 

Plus if you put Radagast on a horse and knock down the enemy, you get 4 rolls to wound from the wizard and 2 from Sonic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:48 am 

Quote:
Quote:
5 points for a shield?!!! ON A HERO!!? Not on this goblins watch matey! that's like getting another goblin with those points! a shield cant claim! a shield cant kill! A shield cant be held in font of my leader to stop an arrow! ok maybe that last one it can...

Big races just throwing points away...

Accept certain inalienable truths Necrons will rise, invul saves will fail, you too will deep strike off of the table. Later you'll fantasize that when you were young Necrons didn't come back, Tyranids were gods and the scatter die always read Hit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 pm 

Quote:
...a shield cant kill! ...
Technically this one can, especially if it's against a goblin! Sick 'em Sebastian!