It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:32 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:05 pm 

Hi all

After many years of playing in various editions, its come to my attention that I may have been doing things wrong. I just assumed this was the way it worked, everyone else I've ever played against has played the same way, and no-one has ever pointed out to me that I'm doing it wrong. But....

Are Jump and Jet models required to take difficult terrain tests when they start or end their move in difficult terrain?

The relevant rule is:
"Skyborne:
When using its jump pack (whether moving, charging or falling back) a model can move over all other models and all terrain freely. However, if the model begins or ends its move in difficult terrain, it must take a dangerous terrain check"

Does 'move over ... all terrain freely' mean that they ignore difficult terrain checks and just take the dangerous ones? It doesn't explicitly say that the difficult checks are ignored, but if that were the case it would make literally no sense to ever use jet/jump packs while in terrain (considering that it is optional to do so). You'd be limited to 6" maximum anyway, PLUS you'd take dangerous checks.

Someone on another forum claimed that a Wraithknight by RAW can only move maximum 6" through cover and thus the 'toe in cover' tactic was generally harder to pull off than everyone thinks. Similarly, Jump Infantry Every time I've played against a Wraithknight they're jumping all over the table; the same for Riptides, Daemon Princes, Hive Tyrants, assault Marines, you name it, people always just move the full 12" and then take the terrain check if necessary.

So have I (or you, or everyone else) been playing this right, or wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:24 pm 

I dont take difficult checks when using jump troops in terrain, and the people i play against like wise dont, and most of them have a greater understanding of the rules than i do. Wraithknights as gc have even more rules to worry about, and the 'toe in cover' thing im assuming is to get a cover save, which with the current rules is just silly as it is true los and more than x% needs to be covered blah blah blah (lost a wraithknight to shooting because of that, stupid 5+ invul)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:52 pm 

Quote:
The relevant rule is: "Skyborne: When using its jump pack (whether moving, charging or falling back) a model can move over all other models and all terrain freely. However, if the model begins or ends its move in difficult terrain, it must take a dangerous terrain check"
You don't test

Essentially when you check about terrain and its difficult, you replace the movement roll with the dangerous roll.

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!