[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
40K: Can you move through friendly models? - WestGamer
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 pm 

This is kinda crazy, but I cannot find anything in the rules that says that you cannot move through friendly models! The Movement section has a "Models in the way" paragraph, but it only covers enemy models. I couldn't find anything in the FAQ either.

The issue arose in one of my last games when my opponent was trying to charge one of my units which was already locked in combat. His already engaged unit and a mortar piece were in the way and blocking the most direct path to my guys. He could only charge by going through the mortar piece. We allowed it for the sake of getting the game going but it seemed weird to me that you could move your models through friendly models.

The Assault section doesn't specify anything either and refers back to the Movement section.

Am I missing something? Or will my Trygons be able to storm through my Gants in future games??

(I'm not advocating this by the way, just trying to find out if there is a clear cut rule or a consensus).

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

Dystopian Wars June 2013 Campaign TFR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:26 pm 

I am nigh on certain that you cannot move through friendlies but let me find a page number to support it. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:49 pm 

Hum actually I found something: p21 under "Moving Charging Models". Charging models cannot move through friendly or enemy models.
That covers charging. I still can't find a mention for Movement, but the way the paragraph is worded probably means they meant to write it down somewhere...

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:46 pm 

I dont have my rulebook with me but when falling back you can not move though friendly units (or enemy units) you have to move around around even if it means moving away from ur table edge aslong as u move the full distance and dont end in the same spot you fell back from or within 1" of an enemy model your all gd

But im 99% sure you cant move though friendly models/units otherwise ppl could move though the tanks n stuff (kinda silly)

It will be in the rulebook some where

Also you can charge around friendly models as long as the close model can make base contact to an enemy model but not though friendly units

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:20 am 

Fairly sure it references them as impassable... Why you can deep strike mishap on your own stuff!

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 am 

Sorry to say this but you cant pass through your own units under any conditions

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:07 am 

My mistake sorry - I always thought you could move through friendly units in the movement phase. Cleary the dice gods saw the error of my ways though and dropped a Vendetta on said charging unit as punishment! :lol:

On the flip side though it looks like the artillery pieces were supposed to be moved with the fleeing unit, so shouldn't have been there anyway! Ah well that's why we have practice games :D

Thanks for the game - and best of luck for Invictus!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 am 

If u unit with artillary falls back the artillary pieces are automaticly destroyed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 am 

No problem Troy :) That's what friendlies are for. And as you said the Artillerie piece thing cancelled this out anyways (not to mention the crashing Vendetta!).
Quote:
Also you can charge around friendly models as long as the close model can make base contact to an enemy model but not though friendly units
That's interesting, reading the rules again it looks like you can actually make curved charges. Your initial charger has to use the shortest possible route, going around impassable terrain, friendly and enemy models. Note that they use the word route rather than line (whether that was intentional or not I don't know). So assuming you had the range, it looks like your charge was legal anyway.

BFG Tyranid Hive Fleet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm 

Quote:
No problem Troy :) That's what friendlies are for. And as you said the Artillerie piece thing cancelled this out anyways (not to mention the crashing Vendetta!).
Quote:
That's interesting, reading the rules again it looks like you can actually make curved charges. Your initial charger has to use the shortest possible route, going around impassable terrain, friendly and enemy models. Note that they use the word route rather than line (whether that was intentional or not I don't know). So assuming you had the range, it looks like your charge was legal anyway.
You only need line of sight. If the model can see its target and it makes the distance they can charge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm 

Quote:
If u unit with artillary falls back the artillary pieces are automaticly destroyed
Actually I thought that but when I re-read it it said that only those pieces without crew were destroyed. Going to have to have a reread before the weekend I think. Or replace them with another Demolisher!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:25 pm 

Do models that ignore terrain pass through friendly models?

Such as harlies?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 pm 

Quote:
Do models that ignore terrain pass through friendly models?

Such as harlies?
No.
Models, friendly or enemy, are not terrain, and as such these special rules would do nothing.
Models, friendly or enemy, simply cannot be moved through (though they can be moved over via Jump Packs etc...)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am 

When 6th ed. came out I read it and 5th ed. side-by-side and did a direction comparison in order to find every minute change.

They did indeed remove the section stating that you cannot move through friendly models in the movement phase but this was clearly an unintentional ommission because later in the assault section it says something along the lines of - you cannot pass through friendly models, just like a normal movement.

2012 - (bring on 6th ed)
2011 - Nerfed Vendettas
2010 - Nerfed Manticores
2009 - Nerfed Craters...?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:34 pm 

I thought if there were gaps between the models in a friendly unit large enough for the base of a model in another unit to pass through then a friendly unit could pass through another friendly unit?