[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 580: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 636: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4511: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3257)
Project Log - 28/6 - Playing with Liquid Mask. - WestGamer
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:29 am

All times are UTC+08:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:47 pm 

I like to paint things.

Blood Bowl

Elves, Bunnies & Deadlings - Commission for Olback
Elves - Commission for GrahamA.

Warhammer 40,000

Kit-bash plastic Lictor & paintjob.
Kit-bash plastic Hive Guard (Stage-by-stage).
Kit-bash/greenstuffed Tervigon.
Kit-bash/greenstuffed Tyrannofex.
Tyranid Carapace Tutorial - Added 15/09/11
Kit-bashed/greenstuffed Doom of Malantai & Mycetic Spore

Object source lighting experiment - "Crusader" Space Marine - 1, 2 & 3.

Space Hulk Terminator

Speed Painted Ork Army
Ork colour test for repaint. - Added 25/10/11

Warhammer Fantasy

Johnthebrave's Lizardmen Army
Saurus with Spears
Saurus with Hand Weapons/Shields, Scar Veteran
Skink Skirmishers
Slann Mage Priest
Temple Guard
Stegadon

Malifaux

Kirai Ankoku - Added 13/3/11
Kirai's crew - Added 27/8/11

Warmachine

Khador Destroyer WIP (added 4/6/11) & finished (added 5/6/11).
Magnetising the Khador plastic Warjack kit - Added 21/12/12
Khador Man-O-Wars

Infinity

PanO Spec Sergeant - Added 14/8/11
Crew WIP - Added 11/09/11
Armbot Bulleteer highlighting & weathering - Added 15/09/11
Operation IceStorm Panoceania
Liquid Mask trial and WIP Dragao

Dystopian Wars

FSA Enterprise, Lexingtons, Guildfords & Princetons

Terrain

Cities of Death colour tests.
Cities of Death board.
Snow Board WIP.
Dystopian Wars board.
Ice Board & Sarissa Precision Infinity Terrain
X-Wing Magnetised Asteroids

My favourite army (back when I wasn't a teetotaler)...

And a throwback to when I started...

Last edited by DaveGlasson.PAGS on Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 54 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Dave's Project Log
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:38 pm 

Terrain looks awesome Dave, cannot wait to get a game on it!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:08 pm 

Press on with those Nids, they look great, love the choice of colour. Terrain is also looking good.

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Want to get into BATTLETECH? Chuck me a PM.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 pm 

Those two marines are awesome!!! :!:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:58 pm 

Quote:
They are awsome :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:05 am 

TRAIN TRACK FLOCK! SHIELD YOUR EYES!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:28 am 

Quote:
Quote:
They are awsome :)
Haha. Those dudes are first generation. I've had those models for a LOOOONG time. If I hunted around a little, I could probably find a couple of the second generation Ultramarine army as well. They're a little neater painted but still no highlighting. And I have no idea where that flock came from on the one on the right. The one on the left is dirt and paint.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:22 pm 

Update!

Been working on this dude for a little while now. No idea how many hours sunk in. It's going to wind up as a display piece and hence has no name or Chapter. I'm trialling two things. The first is glazing. I've tried it before but only in very limited amounts, never across a whole model and I want a really smooth effect on the armour. So far, it's painfully slow going and unless I actually want to paint competitively, I think I'm going to leave it alone from now on.

The second is source lighting, which I haven't started yet. I'm posting these pics up now because I'm really happy with how the armour has turned out so far and I'm absolutely terrified that I'm going to kill this model when I put in the source glow from the plasma pistol. Posterity!

Sorry about the photos. I don't have a light tent and badly want to build one. Feels like a lot of the gradient is being lost in the photo.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:34 pm 

Im liking the blood ravens dave , keep it up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:24 am 

I can already see a couple of things I can do to fix this, mainly smoothing out the blend from the bright light areas to the darker sections and blending the dark in to the armour colour properly. I know we have some painting champs around here. Does anyone know anything else I can do to improve this? Is the placement of the light sections wrong? Should I be artificially darkening the other portions of the model that aren't in direct light to match? Please help. I was so happy with the highlighting on this model until I tried source lighting it and messed it up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:07 am 

I have been experimenting with soucre lighting myself... will get some close ups of my work and explain what i did then Demosthene can come in and tell us what we both did wrong :lol:

My one suggestion for now - fix the mould lines on the plasma pistol!!!

Official Malifaux Henchman for Perth, Western Australia - Interested in a Demo? PM me!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 am 

Quote:
I have been experimenting with soucre lighting myself... will get some close ups of my work and explain what i did then Demosthene can come in and tell us what we both did wrong :lol:

My one suggestion for now - fix the mould lines on the plasma pistol!!!
Haha. Yeah. There are also mould lines on the chainsword arm and when I removed the horns from the head, I didn't fill it back in before I filed it smooth and there are indents in the side of his head.

I went to great lengths to do the body, then got in a huge hurry to paint it and didn't check it over again after I attached everything else.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:51 am 

From my limited knowledge of source lighting, it would seem to my eye that you haven't thinned your source lighting highlights enough.

It needs to be really thin and the highlights worked up in a (censored) ton of thin, translucent gradually brighter layers. How many layers? - No idea :)

Best of luck with the next go!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 pm 

Source lighting is a bitch to pull off, but it looks like you've got the right idea, just need to go for a more subtle effect, and as many others have said - work with more layers of thinner paint.

I make no claims of being a particularly good painter, and all my attempts at source lighting have gone completely pear shaped (way worse than your example here) but it might also be worth trying it out with a different colour scheme while you're getting the hang of it. Green light cast onto red armour is going to be trickier to get looking right than say... Green light onto pale blue armour.

The first time I try any new technique I find it's best if I can find ways to make it as easy as possible for myself, and then work my way up to more challenging applications of the technique.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 pm 

Quote:
From my limited knowledge of source lighting, it would seem to my eye that you haven't thinned your source lighting highlights enough.

It needs to be really thin and the highlights worked up in a (censored) ton of thin, translucent gradually brighter layers. How many layers? - No idea :)

Best of luck with the next go!
Quote:
Source lighting is a bitch to pull off, but it looks like you've got the right idea, just need to go for a more subtle effect, and as many others have said - work with more layers of thinner paint.

I make no claims of being a particularly good painter, and all my attempts at source lighting have gone completely pear shaped (way worse than your example here) but it might also be worth trying it out with a different colour scheme while you're getting the hang of it. Green light cast onto red armour is going to be trickier to get looking right than say... Green light onto pale blue armour.

The first time I try any new technique I find it's best if I can find ways to make it as easy as possible for myself, and then work my way up to more challenging applications of the technique.
Thanks for that, guys. I'm going to red wash over the plating and try and start from scratch, thinning it down a bit more. Or maybe just try darkening the edges a bit. I'm not sure.

I've actually been putting off painting the source lighting on this model for about four days now just because I knew it was going to be hard and I was probably going to ruin what had been up until that point a really satisfying paint job. So when I started this morning, I rushed right in. Impatience cost me.

The other thing that bit me in the ass is actually trying to work out where the light has come from. If I'd started with an Auspex instead, it creates pretty much a cone shape straight out and getting the shape would have been easier. The damn pistol creates light in a 270 degree arc sideways and a 180 degree arc front to back. It's doing my head in.

I'll spend the rest of the day having another crack at it and re-post tonight.