It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:21 am

All times are UTC+08:00

Post subject: Best place to buy paints
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:48 pm 

Hey guys,

I'm starting a new trolls army, and decided to get new paints for my scheme. I've always bought my paints from GW, but only because I have already started an army with them so figured I may as well continue.

Where in Perth is a good place to buy non-GW miniature paints? And what brands are suitable?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:51 pm 

btw, this isn't a hate on GW thing just for the sake of it. I just haven't been happy with any of their new range of paints.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:27 pm 

Tactics always has a good range of various different brand paints

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:02 pm 

Definitely, Tactics is the only place I know of that sells a good range of wargaming paints. They have army painter and p3 and Vallejo. There are some models stores that have the more realistic/historical paints, but that's it.

Though I'm surprised you don't like the new GW paints. There are few that I don't like, but the majority I've found to be really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:12 pm 

Try Vallejo games range or army painter warpaints. There's a chart for paint conversion between brands, somewhere on the web.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:52 pm 

Quote:
btw, this isn't a hate on GW thing just for the sake of it. I just haven't been happy with any of their new range of paints.
+1

I've been too polite to say anything so far. Thanks for breaking the ice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:11 pm 

Been using P3 paints for a while, and good games stocks them.
Whenever I run out I grab a new pot on a Wednesday.

TheGambler#11893
Add me on Hearthstone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:45 pm 

I buy all my paints online these days. The Combat Company have a huge range and brilliant service.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:07 pm 

+1 to pbeccas i buy most of my stuff from combat company with the odd pot being purchased from good games or stanbridges.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:00 am 

With respect to the paint ranges themselves, P3 has great pigment density and is good for thinning down for multiple coats. It is very similar to the GW paints that used to come in the same pots as the P3.

The Army Painter is very popular. Also a good dense paint. Big positive is the colour matching they have between their sprays and pots. Part of their popularity is due to the "dipping" technique you can use with their quickshade range of products. Its a good quality product priced very well.

Vallejo has a massive range of paints and also does airbrush ready pots of paint. The paint is thinner in consistency to the other two and so naturally suits itself to applying numerous coats of paint. The huge paint range means there is virtually no colour thats not available. Becoming more and more popular amongst painters, especially the airbrush range.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 pm 

I buy all my paint online and recommend it. Defiant gaming had the best priced Vallejo by a large margin but sadly shut down to unfortunate reasons. Importing them is the cheapest option now, as with many things in this hobby. I highly recommend a lot of vallejo paint, with similar quality to GW but much better price per volume, they don't retire ranges which can screw you over and have a huge selection from their multiple ranges. The new Vallejo Game Airs are basically the best aspects of VGC - vibrant sci-fi/fantasy colours with the best aspects of VMA - smooth, thin airbrush ready paint. For washes I'd recommend some from several ranges including army painter, secret weapon and citadel. Vallejo 200 ml pots of wash are good where quality is less of a concern such as terrain. Army Painter tones are amazing and Secret Weapon have some great colours that also behave well. Nothing beats the full Minitaire set from the US for price/volume and number of paints. 80 60ml airbrush paints for $US150ish on usual discount. I'm glad I have them, though my favourite range is still Vallejo Model Air + Game Air, with bits from Model Colour, Game Colour and Liquid Gold.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:43 pm 

What the last two guys said. Ive switched recently from GW to Vallejo for airbrushing and Im not likely to go back. Im using a mix of Game Air and Model Air to base and GW to finish but as I replace colours, Im changing pots out for Vallejo Game equivalents.

As for where I get them, Im ordering everything through Combat Company.